Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-feather-weights-really-great-t186870.html)

Valerie Ann 04-22-2012 09:23 AM

Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great?

I have a birthday promise of a new machine to take with me to class as my Bernina is just too heavy. I continue to read about all the hype surrounding featherweights, but really, are they that great? Or, should I consider another machine (light and portable) for class use? Help! Seeking Advice...

Dolphyngyrl 04-22-2012 09:28 AM

They are really great straight stitch machine, but if you do a lot of applique they really won't be useful for you so it depends on what type of quilting you do. From what I hear the straight stitch on those machines far outweigh the straight stitch on newer machines

dunster 04-22-2012 09:38 AM

They are lightweight, amazingly cute, extremely reliable, and have a great straight stitch. The only time I would consider taking a different machine to class is when a zigzag stitch is required.

Prism99 04-22-2012 09:45 AM

It depends. I have a featherweight, and it does do a great straight stitch, but I am always worried it will get scratched up or dropped or damaged in some way. Most of the time it stays packed up in its case. When I use it, I miss having the option of needle-down and being able to adjust the needle side-to-side the way I can with my Bernina. When I was younger, the nostalgia really appealed to me; that has lessened as I've gotten older and my focus has changed more to getting things done.

Personally, for taking to classes, I would prefer something in the Janome Jem series -- especially if it has needle-down. I wouldn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged and could just use it to death!

elizajo 04-22-2012 09:46 AM

My sisters and I sewed on Featherweights until our teens, then we got new machines. We kept the black Centennial FW that originally belonged to our Mom. I borrowed it from my sister a couple of years ago, remembering right away how to thread it. I love the quality of the stitches and the markings on the SS plate. To me, having the narrow feed dogs on a straight stitch machine makes narrow seams on small pieces easier. I sew on a vintage Bernina 830 and a Singer 15-91, so I'm not used to having computerized features, but I would buy a FW in good working condition in a minute if I had the money.

I would add one of the new LED sewing light kits and buy an extension table.

misskira 04-22-2012 10:03 AM

I bought one last week after watching Craigslist for awhile. It really is that great. Great 1/4" seam, straight stitches, and oh so cute. Since its all metal it's really not that light, but it is easy to carry if you get a case in good condition. I'm really pleased with mine. I don't have a fancy Bernina to compare it to though. My other machine is a brother, so IMO basis for comparison may be different than yours.

AliKat 04-22-2012 10:33 AM

I love mine. I carry it in a tote bag to keep the weight light. the downsides aren't usually that important for a class" no needle down, no moving the needle position, no fancy stitches. but just perfect for a class.

Many friends only use their FW's to quilt.

ali

BellaBoo 04-22-2012 11:20 AM

I use my FW for classes and always take it even when I take my Janome Jem for when I need different stitches. It has come in handy so many times for when my or someone else's machine decides to not sew. It's simple for everyone to use, even a beginner sewer. I keep it in the hard case and sit the case in a regular machine rolling case. I have the white (celery) one. The white ones are actually smaller then the black ones! I can get a perfect stitch with any type of thread on the FW. It's not picky about thread types. I use the Singer needles made for the FW. The other needle brands are just a smidge longer and doesn't give a perfect tension stitch but not many notice that difference. One con: The light cover gets very hot. I seldom turn it on and use a sewing lamp.

ghostrider 04-22-2012 11:25 AM

Consider this. If your Bernina decides to 'take an extended break', would you be happy with the limitations of a Featherweight for more than just a class? There are many lightweight, inexpensive, very capable sewing machines on the market with way more functions than a Featherweight. Personally, cute, nostalgic, vintage, and hype are not what I look for in a sewing machine investment.

Daylesewblessed 04-22-2012 11:27 AM

I like my FW a lot, but I love my 301. It is just a little bit heavier, quite a bit less expensive, and the slant needle gives me much more visibility. Unless I put the FW on a phone book, my line of vision to the needle is blocked by the tension dial.

Dayle