Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sites for Reasonably Priced Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sites-reasonably-priced-fabric-t152353.html)

irishrose 09-12-2011 07:43 AM

connectingthreads.com clearance is in the $3 range with free shipping after $35. Their regular prices are $5.96 and $6.96. The also send a catalog.

jdiane318 09-12-2011 07:44 AM

Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville, AR is a great resource, too. www.marshalldrygoods.com I think is there site. If you want to purchase wholesale, James Kelley is the man to talk to if you should wall or email.

sewcrafty 09-12-2011 07:44 AM

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com

They have awesome prices there.

Holice 09-12-2011 08:52 PM

would you pay shipping cost if someone offered to donate fabric?

quiltingdoe 09-12-2011 10:48 PM

You might try Freecycle in your area.

MacThayer 09-12-2011 11:25 PM

Do you belong to a Church Group, or any other organization that could help you collect fabric? I'm just thinking that posting a notice at a Church or other organization could bring in donations that have been sitting on people's shelves unused.

Also, think about the social sites. Do you have a facebook you could use to "get the word out". Or any other social sites? Do family or friends of yours have one, and be willing to help you?

What about Craig's list on line? There is a "Want to Buy" section, and if you explain that the material is for homeless children and charity work, you could probably pick some up for free or very low cost. People will have bought fabric thinking they were going to make something, and it's still sitting there 3 years later, and they're bored with the idea. And you've just given them a charitable reason to get rid of it. Plus spell out what you need. If old blankets, certain kinds of clothes, sheets, etc., as well as fabric is needed, you'll get more.

I agree with the Good Will and Salvation Army. I've found a ton of fabric there for cheap, if you're not too fussy. For what I've used it for, it's been perfect.

Best Wishes to You!

muddlingabout 09-12-2011 11:50 PM

Craig's List is a good source. You can even put a Wanted up on CL.

valerieolm 09-13-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville, AR is a great resource, too. www.marshalldrygoods.com I think is there site. If you want to purchase wholesale, James Kelley is the man to talk to if you should wall or email.

Thank you. I will send Mr. Kelley an e-mail.

valerieolm 09-13-2011 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
Do you belong to a Church Group, or any other organization that could help you collect fabric? I'm just thinking that posting a notice at a Church or other organization could bring in donations that have been sitting on people's shelves unused.

Also, think about the social sites. Do you have a facebook you could use to "get the word out". Or any other social sites? Do family or friends of yours have one, and be willing to help you?

What about Craig's list on line? There is a "Want to Buy" section, and if you explain that the material is for homeless children and charity work, you could probably pick some up for free or very low cost. People will have bought fabric thinking they were going to make something, and it's still sitting there 3 years later, and they're bored with the idea. And you've just given them a charitable reason to get rid of it. Plus spell out what you need. If old blankets, certain kinds of clothes, sheets, etc., as well as fabric is needed, you'll get more.

I agree with the Good Will and Salvation Army. I've found a ton of fabric there for cheap, if you're not too fussy. For what I've used it for, it's been perfect.

Best Wishes to You!

I put a notice on facebook yesterday. Will check with my church to see if I can send out a request. I've never used Craigs List before but will give it a try. Will definitely go to Good Will and Salvation Army when I have the energy and feel well enough to go. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

valerieolm 09-13-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by quilticing
Check Goodwill and Salvation Army.

I second that. Also, there are many generous giving members on this board too. Tell us exactly what you are looking for and you may be surprised at the responses. I may have items I can donate-send me a PM with what you are looking for.

Sent you a PM message. Received an e-mail from the organization I'm wanting to make the quilts for. Was informed that they only distributed 35 quilts last year and have a difficult time putting together quilts for teen boys.