Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Slipknot wall hanging (my brain won't shut up with ideas) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/slipknot-wall-hanging-my-brain-wont-shut-up-ideas-t78217.html)

deema 11-25-2010 08:58 AM

Based on Slipknot alone, I would do any quilting in red - maybe zig zags, something sharp and jagged. I think the studs would be a PERFECT embellishment. And I like the black crackle as opposed to plain black sashing with black blocks. Breaks it up a bit, but keeps with the theme of the band.

And I know exactly what you mean about the never ending ideas. I've had about 10million plans for the quilt I'm working on for my husband. LOL

lab fairy 11-25-2010 09:08 AM

I just saw fluorescent thread. How cool would that be with a black light? OK, I'm a kid at heart. I'm sure whatever you decide will be amazing. If you revisit the stud idea, try http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/. That's a great resource for things like that.

Flying_V_Goddess 11-25-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by deema
Based on Slipknot alone, I would do any quilting in red - maybe zig zags, something sharp and jagged. I think the studs would be a PERFECT embellishment. And I like the black crackle as opposed to plain black sashing with black blocks. Breaks it up a bit, but keeps with the theme of the band.

And I know exactly what you mean about the never ending ideas. I've had about 10million plans for the quilt I'm working on for my husband. LOL

For me the "ten million" ideas could make up the quilt label. Probably had as many ideas on what to do with the label as I have with the quilt.

deema 11-25-2010 11:38 AM

Hmmm...I just had an idea.

Have you done any FMQ? In your example picture, the top center t-shirt has that swirly/spiky S symbol. That would look really cool FMQ'd in the outer border.

Ohhh, or the 9-point star...or BOTH!

Kas 11-25-2010 11:55 AM

My 16 year old son says "Hex, yes!". He wants it instead of your friend!

Flying_V_Goddess 11-27-2010 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by deema
Hmmm...I just had an idea.

Have you done any FMQ? In your example picture, the top center t-shirt has that swirly/spiky S symbol. That would look really cool FMQ'd in the outer border.

Ohhh, or the 9-point star...or BOTH!

No, I have not. And I'm not going to strain myself trying to learn with only.........oh my god, there's only 29 days til Christmas! *GASP!*

Originally Posted by Kas
My 16 year old son says "Hex, yes!". He wants it instead of your friend!

Guessing your son love Slipknot?

Flying_V_Goddess 11-28-2010 04:52 AM

I think this quilt needs a title. I don't want to keep refering it to as "Slipknot quilt". At first I was going to find Slipknot lyrics and use something from that for the title, but the only lyric I could find that maybe works goes "Then I'm 666". Yeah, 666...how (un)original for heavy metal. :roll:

Slipknot fans are refered to as "maggots". It sounds like an insult, but actually its refering to the way Slipknot fans "feed" off their music. Since this is a gift for a Slipknot fan maybe I could work that into the title. Like..."Ode of the Maggot" or something. lol.

Sometimes its weird talking about this quilt to you guys. You show off these wonderful looking quilts in bright colors and cheery fabrics and they look "happy" and "cuddly" in general......then I come in with this "brutal" idea for quilt with black fabrics (since they don't make anything darker) and heavy metal t-shirts from a band where the fans have a disgusting sounding title for them (and they're proud of it!). You know? Occasionally I feel like the odd ball of the group coming up with these quilts inspired by video games or heavy metal music, but I'm glad the response isn't negitive about it.

lab fairy 11-29-2010 01:42 PM

You are no more oddball than my wanting to make a quilt depicting molecular structure. No one outside my household gets that one either. I wouldn't worry about wanting to make something that doesn't look like the "normal" and in-the-box. No one accuses me about being in the box either. :-)

Flying_V_Goddess 11-29-2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
You are no more oddball than my wanting to make a quilt depicting molecular structure. No one outside my household gets that one either. I wouldn't worry about wanting to make something that doesn't look like the "normal" and in-the-box. No one accuses me about being in the box either. :-)

What kind of molecular structure?

earthwalker 11-29-2010 11:39 PM

I think the black crackle fabric would look great teamed with the Tshirts. I know you have gone off the idea of the studs, but how about one largish stud in each corner of every Tshirt...kind of "nailing" each graphic on. Like the idea of metallic thread...will add extra dimension. This is going to be a really amazing quilt. Maybe of those really industrial looking metal rods or chain would really set it off. I am really looking forward to what you come up with.

One of the best things about this group is diversity....each quilter puts a little of themselves in each one...and as quilting is an art form, those differences should be celebrated.