Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So glad I prewashed - found an incurable (so far) bleeder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-glad-i-prewashed-found-incurable-so-far-bleeder-t259152.html)

tessagin 01-04-2015 09:47 AM

Just saw where it's suppose to be sold at Walmart. Will have to check.

tessagin 01-04-2015 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 7033139)
I have found that soaking the fabric in a water/vinegar/salt mixture also works. But definitely try the Retayne. It should solve your problems.

Do you have the formula? I usually wash all my bedding covers in cold water. But would still like the formula. Thanks!

LindaM 01-04-2015 10:09 AM

The LQS where I purchased this fabric is also suggesting Retayne, and has some in stock. Have to pop there to pick some up tomorrow!

Geri B 01-04-2015 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 7033296)
This is the perfect candidate for Retayne. Follow the directions carefully and then use cold water to wash any finished project as using hot water on fabric treated with Retayne only removes it ( the Retayne) and bleeding will most likely start again.

So, actually, there is no permanent fix for bleeders.....that's a dirty shame....the cost of these fabrics......and some are not practical for use...something very wrong with that picture.....

QuiltE 01-04-2015 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM (Post 7033472)
The LQS where I purchased this fabric is also suggesting Retayne, and has some in stock. Have to pop there to pick some up tomorrow!

I've used it a lot on bleeders ... and have been quite happy!
As a confidence booster, I do include a Dr. Beckmann's Colour Catcher ... and they always come out snow white!

MaryKatherine 01-04-2015 11:03 AM

What was the brand of the Batik?

Prism99 01-04-2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7033485)
So, actually, there is no permanent fix for bleeders.....that's a dirty shame....the cost of these fabrics......and some are not practical for use...something very wrong with that picture.....

There are two types of bleeders. The one in the original post sounds like the type in which the dye was not permanently set by the manufacturer. That is the kind that will bleed forever. Retayne will set the dye, but only as long as the fabric is not washed in hot water.

The other type of bleeder is one in which the manufacturer has not adequately rinsed out excess dye. Fibers can absorb only so much dye. Typically fabric is dyed with much more dye than the fabric can aborb; rinsing removes the excess dye particles. When the manufacturer doesn't do this adequately, a lot of loose dye comes out in the first wash. This is the type that sheds less and less dye with each washing.

It's good to remember also that not all fabrics *pick up* loose dye particles easily. It's possible to have a bleeder fabric in a quilt and still not get dye stains in the other fabrics.

Vinegar and salt work to set many types of organic dye, but generally have no effect on the newer chemical dyes used by modern manufacturers. They don't do any harm, but they don't necessarily do any good. If I were more of a scientist, I would probably take samples from all my stash fabrics and wash one set with vinegar/salt and the other with regular detergent to prove this.

Daylesewblessed 01-04-2015 01:05 PM

I use Retayne quilt a bit. What bothers me most is when a fabric store states that their fabrics come from quality manufacturers and don't bleed. Maybe bleeding is less common in LQS fabrics, but it certainly exists. I think that is why it is important to bring a bleeder back to the LQS. Then they can contact the manufacturer if they choose and pull that bolt off the shelf.

juneayerza 01-04-2015 06:53 PM

This is one of the reasons to prewash. Better to loose the cost of one fabric versus the ruin of a whole project.

2manyhobbies 01-05-2015 05:00 AM

That's why I prewash everything. As for that fabric, our guild was told by a very knowledgeable speaker to just get rid of it.