Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   something that I've always wondered.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/something-ive-always-wondered-t98344.html)

amandasgramma 02-09-2011 09:15 PM

White IS a color --- if there were no color, it would be transparent. Here's a description:

"White is a shade, the perception of which is evoked by light that stimulates all three types of color sensitive cone cells in the human eye in nearly equal amounts and with high brightness compared to the surroundings. A white visual stimulation will be void of hue and grayness."

Clear as mud??????????

CompulsiveQuilter 02-09-2011 09:22 PM

I am a picture framer and the offical answer is white is the absence of color --- so why do we have about 70 different "shades" of white mats???

C.Cal Quilt Girl 02-09-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
and a tomato is a fruit ! ? !

If a tomato is a fruit...would ketchup be a smoothie? :)
Sorry, I couldnt resist...:)

Cindy

:thumbup: :thumbup: ROFLOL :)

To me it is a discription of a color tone, White, Cream, Ivory, all forms of a white with different values. JMO

kriscraft99 02-10-2011 03:11 AM

too funny.. but I guess some would think about it... (insert throwing up noise here)... yuckkkkkkkkk

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew

Originally Posted by happyscrappy
and a tomato is a fruit ! ? !

If a tomato is a fruit...would ketchup be a smoothie? :)
Sorry, I couldnt resist...:)

Cindy

EagarBeez 02-10-2011 07:08 AM

what I had learned in art.. white and black are neutral's

raptureready 02-10-2011 08:57 AM

White is the presence of all colors and black is the absence of all color if you're looking at the light spectrum definition. It's opposite if you're talking to an artist. If you're talking to a quilter it's definitely a color and like any other color, there are many shades of it.

Wouldn't you have to mix some yogurt with the ketchup to make it into a real smoothie? A blueberry/ketchup smoothie???? I'll pass

cmw0829 02-10-2011 09:08 AM

I learned that it's the lack of color.

But whenever I give my last name, I say "White as in the color." I want to add "or lack thereof" but it gets too complicated.
:lol:

Wunder-Mar 02-10-2011 09:18 AM

As a quilter, it's a color with many shades that plays off whatever is next to it or around it.

Alondra 02-10-2011 09:21 AM

Technically, white, like black, is considered a non-color, but they look like colors to me, especially with all the different shades of both of them. ;)

RST 02-10-2011 09:23 AM

In terms of design, "white space" is not even necessarily white. I think a pleasing quilt design makes careful use of negative space and has adequate white space -- and using ample whites in a quilt is a quick a surefire way to do that (sometimes.)

For my purposes, white is a color. And a very useful one.

RST