Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooo disgusted with myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooo-disgusted-myself-t67445.html)

stitchingmemories 09-29-2010 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first quilting experience was about 20 years ago. I made these placemats (I guess I was doing FMQ and didn't know it back then, lol). I get them out every fall, they have been washed many times and are still holding up. I did a zigzag stitch. I think being young and more carefree made it easier back then.

SuziC 09-30-2010 02:15 AM

I am sending you a quilting hug!!!! You are just having a bad day....try doing another stich or better yet, take a break form it, have a cup of coffee and a choc candy bar!!

teacherbailey 09-30-2010 02:29 AM

I've been quilting for about 25 years....love the creative part of picking the pattern and fabric and watching the top come together. HATE the quilting part....so I do as little as possible. Put PolarFleece on for backing and batting so it needs little quilting, and what it does get, is utilitarian at best. Hang in there and whatever you do----DON'T USE ME AS A ROLE MODEL!!!!!!! Practice quilting and you'll get it figured out, I promise.

bearlea 09-30-2010 03:05 AM

see if your machine has a SID foot..it helps..don't be so hard on yourself...take your time...start on small projects first and work your way up..it could be too that your trying to fit a bit rolled quilt into a small throat..doesn't work too well...every quilt is a learning experience...more onto the next...you will get it..blessings

farmer623 09-30-2010 03:17 AM

I've decided there are some things I do fairly well, and some things I don't do well at all, and no amount of practice will help me with the tools I have. I can't afford to buy a longarm, and I don't know how good I would be on one anyway. I made the conscious decision about a year ago that I would basically just stick to handwork, and leave the machine quilting to others, and except for the baby quilts I've made, I've stuck to that decision, and I'm a lot happier. Also, on the quilts I have done, invisible thread is a good choice. My mistakes, and there are many, don't show as much.

sheliab12 09-30-2010 03:30 AM

I love you Avatar. Is it your pattern or does it have a name where I could find the pattern somewhere.

needlenut 09-30-2010 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:

I agree that SID is for the birds. A special foot is a help. I saw one lady use rick rack over the seam which added an embellishment and hid the "not so great" stitch in the ditch. 1/4 inch echo stitching is very easy and quite pretty. Copying a pattern on copy paper, pinning it to the quilt, and free motion quilting over it is very easy and doesn't need a walking foot for a smooth line. Who cares if every stitch isn't the same length on FMQ.

foxxigrani 09-30-2010 04:30 AM

I am with you, I feel the same, just finished quilting a quilt top, it was that way and I look at myself and say. Self you have been doing this for a while, you can't sew a straight line and everything you make is wonky. What is wrong with you. My problem is tho, no matter how hard I try, it doesn't get any better. I guess I had better put the rest of the word on my forhead. I had stu there time to put pid.

Rita

Quilt Mom 09-30-2010 04:36 AM

I am still in the process of learning - it seems to go on forever for me. I did find that if I quilt 1/4" from the seam, rather than in the ditch, I can ge a straighter line. Maybe this would help...

Bobbielinks 09-30-2010 04:37 AM

Please don't be so hard on yourself. If you look closely at pictures of the quilting in the quilting magazines, they are not perfectly quilted either. Just enjoy the process and don't worry about perfection. Quilt away then stand back and take a look at your quilt, let it rest a couple days and you wouldn't see what you thought was terrible. Have fun!