Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooo disgusted with myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooo-disgusted-myself-t67445.html)

mrsreeves2 09-30-2010 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
Make some quilt sandwiches about 12" square. If you want to become better at SID, make some simple rails, 4 patches or 9 patches. Then practice, practice, practice! If you want to become good at free motion, just use solid fabrics. Keep working at it, and you WILL get better.

And if you use the insulbrite batting, you can be making instant potholders.

Great idea with the insulbrite batting! I have just started to learn FMQ and was having a little trouble with the thought of using fabric to practice on and then throw away. I will pull out my insulbrite and practice some more! Thank you!

mrsreeves2 09-30-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Oh dear!! Perhaps it is just one of those days!!! Get yourself a cuppa and some chocolate and it will be fine!!!!!Well it works for me!!! (Sorry I.m English! A cup of tea here is the answer to everything!!!)

CoventryUK, I agree about the cup of tea. I am an American with British roots (way back in the 1500's). Never underestimate the power of tea!

Sandy-lou 09-30-2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrsreeves2

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Oh dear!! Perhaps it is just one of those days!!! Get yourself a cuppa and some chocolate and it will be fine!!!!!Well it works for me!!! (Sorry I.m English! A cup of tea here is the answer to everything!!!)

CoventryUK, I agree about the cup of tea. I am an American with British roots (way back in the 1500's). Never underestimate the power of tea!

I absolutely agree
nothing comes close to a good cuppa tea
made in the pot
it sure hits the spot.

I too have British ancestry
Sandy

auntmag 09-30-2010 08:58 AM

SID is not easy. Why not try a diagonal straight line from a corner to the opposite corner of the block. By the way no one is going to notice if your stitching wanders a little.

Caroltee 09-30-2010 09:06 AM

We learn through our mistakes……….So keep on practicing soooooooooon you will be a genius. :thumbup:

zoey 09-30-2010 09:34 AM

keep at it. take a day or two off but don't give up. you'd be surprised how critical quilters are of themselves while others especially those you give quilts to are not so critical and love the work you did.

SNUGQUILT 09-30-2010 10:20 AM

I actually think that 'stippling', or just wandering around with your stitching is much easier than SID. I have fun with the meandering part, but not with SID. Don't be so hard on yourself...relax....have some fun! :) Maybe some chocolate would help! :)

Teresa 54 09-30-2010 12:19 PM

can I come to the party? I get like that from time to time, and I am a good quilter/teacher/lecturer. When this happens, I go do something else and come back to the project with a new eye, new mind - I look at it like it is a challange - and I get through it in a positive manner and excited to work on it.

marthe brault-hunt 09-30-2010 12:23 PM

When I think that my work is awful I always remember the day when one of my daughters got married. While she was coming up the aisle with her father, I was worried that everyone would notice a little error that I had made sewing her dress. There was a point in the front, I sewed one stitch too far , it made a tiny crease. The bodice was covered with lace and pearls. Do you think that someone would notice it. Because I knew, I was feeling bad! The best quilter has always room for improvement, instead of blaming yourself look at what you accomplished and be happy for what became easier!

MadQuilter 09-30-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the quilting? yoiks! you can hear the angels laugh, cry, and sometimes call ralph! but they surely do not sing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now there's an image I won't lose too soon. Hurling angels. ROFL! Thanks Patrice, I needed a laugh today.