Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooo disgusted with myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooo-disgusted-myself-t67445.html)

Stitchalong 09-30-2010 12:53 PM

I buy cheap fabric $1 a yard if I can find it and practice, practice. When I get done, yes, the stitching is not great, but I bind it anyway and use it as a utility quilt and with every one of these I see improvement; and I don't feel like I destroyed a good pieced top. I am looking forward to the day I feel comfortable enough to quilt one of my pieced tops.

trolleystation 09-30-2010 01:09 PM

It's OK. Some of us are destined to be quilt top makers and not quilters. Fortunately, my daughter is a long arm quilter, and I don't have to worry about finishing the quilt. But, before she became a LA quilter, I sent my quilts out when I could afford it. FMQ and stitch in the ditch are not my forte.

sheila bee 09-30-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bj
Been there, done that. We will commiserate with you all you want. I will say, it really does get better!

Bj is right it does get better..just keep on going !!!!!!

stitchingmemories 09-30-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Caroltee
We learn through our mistakes……….So keep on practicing soooooooooon you will be a genius. :thumbup:

LOL, can't wait for that day! :wink:

RDM 09-30-2010 01:55 PM

I had to reply because you stated so well how I recently felt over my machine quilting. I was bummed for a week over my poor stippling. B4 quilting I did 2 days of practice and all was well then but not when I got to the larger quilt. Now it's back to more practice and smaller quilts. I would encourage you as I am myself to keep at it-we're in the learning curve right now, and for large quilts, longarm quilters are worth it.

LadsMom 09-30-2010 02:06 PM

Your walking foot may be pulling your fabric to the side. Try feeding your fabric at an angle instead of straight in. When starting set your needle in your drawn line and then pivot your fabric so it approaches your needle at a slight angle. On mine the angle needs to be about the same as the minute hand on a clock reading 10:27 or 10:28.

vwquilting 09-30-2010 02:54 PM

I have been sewing for over 50 years. Today I spent several hours ripping out my whole quilt. It was all bunchy and out of alignment. It's like cooking. One does well for months then all of a sudden you start to burn things or things don't,rise. Keep going it will pay off.

vwquilting 09-30-2010 03:10 PM

The quilt I just had to rip out has very fluffy batting. This makes sewing very hard to stitch.

GloBug 09-30-2010 03:15 PM

I understand where you are coming from,been there. Keep plugging away it will come to you .
Gloria :-D

shrabar 09-30-2010 03:18 PM

Practice Practice Practice....... I never took a class & my first time I wanted to make a quilt I didn't even know about 1/4 " seam & I didn't know how to quilt it but by looking & asking & practicing I can quilt.. Keep your work & make another one it doesn't have to be big and then compare & you will see how far you have come.. Happy Quilting, Shirley