Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Soooo ticked! Need Help and Advice! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/soooo-ticked-need-help-advice-t49779.html)

feline fanatic 06-15-2010 03:02 PM

If you add a border to the elephants to make the unfinished blocks the exact same size as your unfinished patchwork blocks you will still be able to do your grid quilting matching up the corners of the patchwork. The border will not mess that up. This would look very cute with borders of blue around your elephants. This quilt is very cute BTW.

pam1966 06-15-2010 03:07 PM

You could also border the elephants with the same fabric you used for the background, if you don't want a different color to mess up the effect you're wanting. Maybe even miter the borders on the elephants so it looks like you wanted to do it that way.

roseOfsharon 06-15-2010 03:11 PM

Looks to me a border around the elephants the same blue as the patches / either light or use both.. would look just great as if you planned to frame them in!

Halo 06-15-2010 05:52 PM

Now that I see the quilt, I agree with Pam1966. You could go one step farther & put a rick rack or pipping (of the darker blue) sewn in the seam when you put a mitered border of the same background fabric on it. Would make the elephants look like a planned frame around them. By the way. The quilt is going to be awesome. You have done a fantastic job on it.

Pam 06-15-2010 05:53 PM

I think your little elephants would look fab with a blue border, just the way you planned it! (wink, wink)

MadQuilter 06-15-2010 06:51 PM

How about cutting new background fabric in blue. Then trim the white in a circular or oval and applique that to the new background. You could even secure it with a ribbon or something fancy. It would look like pictures of an elefant.

weezie 06-16-2010 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by pam1966
You could also border the elephants with the same fabric you used for the background, if you don't want a different color to mess up the effect you're wanting. Maybe even miter the borders on the elephants so it looks like you wanted to do it that way.

This was exactly my thought, too, as soon as I saw the picture. Have you got any more of the white background? If so, I think it's the perfect solution ... quite a bit more work for you, but that ship has sailed ... it's going to be more work whatever you decide to do.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 06-16-2010 08:56 AM

Adorable !!!
Border both w/medium dk.blue to equal up block sizes, should look similar but w/2 size blocks should make all the colors pop....
Good Luck, you know you don't want to toss somthing so cute!!!
Didn't I see a thread that refered to no rules!! :)

Kas 06-16-2010 09:31 AM

I'm confused. That pic makes it look like it will go together fine as it is. What am I missing?

Tcharlie 06-16-2010 09:46 AM

Are you sure once you sew the seams that it will not fit together? It just looks like it won't until you add the seams!