Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooooooo much waste.... need ideas (with pics) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooooooo-much-waste-need-ideas-pics-t65483.html)

annette1952 09-19-2010 07:36 PM

I love your quilt! I would use the extra in the border or just put it in your stash & use it later in another project.

MadQuilter 09-19-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sarahbelle

In my book, this much waste is unacceptable.

Don't you like stash?

JETTA 09-20-2010 02:17 AM

How about a Wall Hanging,pillows,a project that pulls all of it together.Pillowcase to go with the quilt.

watterstide 09-20-2010 02:34 AM

any leftovers (not waste,IMHO) i use as a scrappy border or scrappy binding.

save a piece for a pretty label too!

i do tend to keep any "like" leftovers together..like baby/child prints to make a scrappy quilt down the road.

your quilt is beautiful though!

i think i am reading your "waste" as the cost of the jelly rolls, meaning you could of paid less,buying less fabric from the company.

Stitchnripper 09-20-2010 02:53 AM

Pretty quilt. I would use the leftovers in a scrappy quilt, adding what is necessary to make the right size. Scrappy quilts are my personal favorites.

Rettie V. Grama 09-20-2010 04:06 AM

I think she should make the boxes out a contracting color/colors and use up the strip she had left over. Is it possible the package she bought was for a larger quilt? I also had that experience with a pack, but mine was to be expected, but I didn't let the left-overs go to waste. I'm making Pot-pinchers, 35 of them, for gifts. After cutting out the heart, I had a 5 inch square at the fold of the piece (15 pieces, 15 squares). I just squared it up and will use with a joining square to make a shopping bag, or something. My mother always said "Waste not, want not." She would have been 124 years old this month.

fireworkslover 09-20-2010 04:48 AM

I won't repeat what's already been said. Just think it's way better to have too much than not enough. More stash for other projects to create from!

nitakhoops 09-20-2010 04:56 AM

I put my left overs in a bag. When I have enough, I make a baby quilt or a scrappy quilt.

LiveToQuilt 09-20-2010 05:01 AM

Sounds like you nay have enough for a complete back for this quilt, even though it would be slightly different from the top.
Whatever you decide, this is beautiful.

christina bennett 09-20-2010 05:07 AM

You did a great job on the quilt. I use every little srcap I can. I make crumb blocks and I sort scraps as I make them....As you are finishing what you are doing with one fabric put the left overs a side in bins labeled for differant size scraps. That way it is not so overwhelming. Your scraps will be organized and when you find a pattern for the size you will have what you need with out hours of sorting left overs.
I look at scraps as free fabric for the need project.
Happy scrapping,
Christina,(Chrissy)