Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spam generated from this site? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spam-generated-site-t153324.html)

alikat110 09-16-2011 05:39 AM

I'm not a member of "Everyone's Welcome".

Bonbonary 09-16-2011 05:39 AM

I don't think I got any because of this site. But, I found when I did the Shop Hop, I started getting plenty of emails from all the shops even though I didn't sign up or register with any of them.

Becka 09-16-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
I don't think I got any because of this site. But, I found when I did the Shop Hop, I started getting plenty of emails from all the shops even though I didn't sign up or register with any of them.

That's exactly what I was going to share.

What Bonbonary said...

dakotamaid 09-16-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Don't forget that this is a public forum, anyone on the web can access this board. Only registered can post. So that does leave us open to unsolicited spam and other "stuff".

All true ... except this person is talking about emails ... our email addy is not public on here, UNLESS you post it yourself, and share it with others.

The PM is set up to help us avoid that risk. So if you give your email, that's your choice, and nothing to blame this site for.

I stand corrected.:)

susie-susie-susie 09-16-2011 05:48 AM

I also agree with bonbonary and becka. I get a bunch from the fab shop hop and quilting is murder, but nothing generated here. I am not a member of "Everyone's Welcome".
Sue

Moonpi 09-16-2011 06:02 AM

I wrote to the sender to ask where they got my info. No fab shop hop store would associate me with any guild, and I doubt they would have access to my real name.

ghostrider 09-16-2011 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Everybody's welcome is the online name for the Quilt Guild generated here way back when (2007). http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-3258-1.htm

Shadow Dancer made the block and Chele designed the card. It was a big topic of chat conversation at the time. Since there is no guild outside of this board that I am part of, it has to come from here.

what bothers me more is access to my name and e-mail address. I am careful to read rules before joining a site, and never saw anything indicating my personal information would be sold. I do not give that out unless I have a reason to.

Ok, I remember that now. I know how closely you guard your personal info, so that really surprises me. Have you checked the Privacy Policies here to see if they changed any with the new ownership? Maybe ask Admin directly?

willferg 09-16-2011 06:59 AM

Is it possible that someone you emailed (or that emailed you) in regards to that guild had their email highjacked?

I get hit up by Facebook when people let FB pull in their contact list from their email. Then FB solicits me to join so I can be friends with them. The thing is, I have a FB account through another email, so I can tell when the "invitation" is phishing.

I have found that when searching other commercial sites that leave cookies on my computer, the ads that pop up here pertain to where I've searched/shopped. I don't see that as this forum's fault, though, it's all part of how other sites track where you go and keep hounding you with advertising.

For what it's worth, I agree that it's important to keep one's data private. This data mining is a source of big income for websites, and I don't like being used. But I have never felt used by this board.

Maia B 09-16-2011 07:10 AM

Just a QB member and definitely no extra spam here...

Rose Marie 09-16-2011 07:16 AM

I thought the board was private but have found posts on the web when looking up quilt subjects.
So be careful what you post it goes out to the world.
email is a different matter and some sites can be less than safe to email.