Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-t111593.html)

Lori S 03-28-2011 06:19 PM

I spray baste , but still pin a bit on the perimeter, sometimes it can get pulled up while moving it around.

dglvr 03-28-2011 06:35 PM

I'll spray baste and no pin. I've also been using the fusible batting. Works great too. :thumbup:

ThreadHead 03-28-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I spray baste , but still pin a bit on the perimeter, sometimes it can get pulled up while moving it around.

I'm with you--I spray baste and pin whereever I think it needs it.

I don't have a flat surface or enough room on the left side of my machine. I have to roll it up and that distorts it.
Syl

Jill 03-28-2011 06:53 PM

I guess I move mine around too much because I usually need to either pin or baste around my quilts. I do this only on the bigger quilts, not wallhangings or smaller ones.

spinnergs 03-28-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S

Me too, probably dont need to pin but when I'm doing a large quilt, the pins just make me feel better about any spots on the edge that might not have been sprayed as much.

Fabric Galore 03-28-2011 07:08 PM

I use painter's tape to hold my backing nice and tight and then I spray baste the batting. I leave a 2" border around my batting on all 4 sides. I then spray baste my quilt top on top of the sandwich and the top is 1" smaller than the batting all around. After I spray it I use a rolling pin to get it nice and smooth. It holds up but if you need to adjust it you can take it apart to adjust and when you put it back together just use your rolling pin and it sticks just great. Make sure you have good ventilation and use a drop cloth or be ready to scrub your floor; it gets very tacky.

nativetexan 03-28-2011 07:08 PM

i sometimes pin the edges of the border.

Grambi 03-28-2011 07:30 PM

I've been wanting to try 505 spray, but having a hard time finding it. I can order online buy have any of you ever seen it at Joann's, HL, Hancock?

TonnieLoree 03-28-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I use painter's tape to hold my backing nice and tight and then I spray baste the batting. I leave a 2" border around my batting on all 4 sides. I then spray baste my quilt top on top of the sandwich and the top is 1" smaller than the batting all around. After I spray it I use a rolling pin to get it nice and smooth. It holds up but if you need to adjust it you can take it apart to adjust and when you put it back together just use your rolling pin and it sticks just great. Make sure you have good ventilation and use a drop cloth or be ready to scrub your floor; it gets very tacky.

I forgot the "scrub floor" part once. :thumbdown:

vivientan 03-28-2011 08:25 PM

Does spray basting work with all kinds of batting? I normally use polyester batts.

I've read too that some quilters fix up a basting wall for spray basting. How can this be done and is it really much easier than basting on the floor?