Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square then quilt, or quilt then square? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-then-quilt-quilt-then-square-t200263.html)

AlienQuilter 09-14-2012 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5509002)
Yup, me too. I square each block as I go so they fit together easily. I square the top before I quilt it so I don't quilt in any 'skewedness'. And I square it after quilting because quilting can change the shape and size slightly and also to insure that my binding is as full and even as it can possibly be. Can't be sure enough that every step is square as far as I'm concerned.

This is what I do also.

Handcraftsbyjen 09-14-2012 05:20 AM

Quilt and then square.

nycbgirl 09-14-2012 05:47 AM

I just learned to square a few months ago....I never knew I had to!!!! I had my friend come and help me, she is a beautiful quilter and very precise. She really had to use alot of patience because I am not a perfectionist and I just wanted to GET IT DONE!

JanieH 09-14-2012 06:46 AM

Thanks also for this thread. I have learned alot!

Deborahlees 09-14-2012 07:11 AM

I square as I piece and sew, so each block is square then each row is square then
recheck when I put the borders on. Then quilt and then do final square before the
bindings......that way I have no surprises .......
and a nicely finished quilt.....
I do believe it all starts with the blocks, and good cutting of your pieces, good sewing
of your seams....otherwise everything that was just a little off....grows and grows to
be major off.....I think the little things can add up, and multiply and get out of hand....

QuiltE 09-14-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5513719)
I square as I piece and sew, so each block is square then each row is square then
recheck when I put the borders on. Then quilt and then do final square before the
bindings......that way I have no surprises .......
and a nicely finished quilt.....
I do believe it all starts with the blocks, and good cutting of your pieces, good sewing
of your seams....otherwise everything that was just a little off....grows and grows to
be major off.....I think the little things can add up, and multiply and get out of hand....

You can say that again!!!!!!!!!
I'm right with you on squaring up right from cutting the fabric/pieces accurately and then throughout the whole process ......

:D

gramquilter2 09-14-2012 10:42 AM

I too, am one that squares up each block, sew them together, square it up, have it quilted and so a final square it up....

labtechkty 09-14-2012 12:35 PM

I square my blocks as I finished them and square again once I have finished the quilting...

MimiBug123 09-14-2012 12:44 PM

I square, then quilt. The blocks seem to fit better if they're squared up before being sewn together.

LadyElisabeth 09-14-2012 01:06 PM

Same with me, I square each block as it is made, then square the top before I put the whole quilt together, then quilt.