Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting a new Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-new-bargello-t212798.html)

x7lillies 02-03-2013 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5833587)
I made a quilt from the same book called Nebula and I did it in blue. Here is the picture. I like your blues. It will be a gorgeous quilt.

Tashana, your quilt is gorgeous! I love what you did with the colors!

x7lillies 02-03-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5833420)
The pattern you chose will use 1/4" pieces. Both of these fabrics have both color and value changes larger than 1/4".

I double-checked with the pattern, and the smallest cut is 3" x 1.25". I think that's still a little too small for #11, but it might not be a disaster if I can't find a replacement.

gramarraine 02-03-2013 08:08 AM

I love your color selections and am amazed at all the good suggestions from the members of this board. There is so much talent and ability here and everyone is so willing to share their knowledge. Good luck and I will be waiting to see the finished quilt.

x7lillies 02-03-2013 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, I think I may have it this time?

Here's a new ordering. I've gotten rid of the middle fabric and the leaf fabric. From my stash, I've added a dark blue with aqua highlights that's pretty perfect, actually (hooray!), and a warm ecru background with light green stencil print. I'm not in love with that second one, but not every fabric can be a favorite. It adds some warmth to the end of the scale, and it doesn't stick out badly (in b/w or color), so what else could I ask for?

I also moved some of the other fabrics around. What do we think now? I did my best to get the colors right with the camera, but it's not easy to get the colors right on the screen. I think the color is better than in the first photo, though.

sewplease 02-03-2013 01:07 PM

Wow, Kim - it looks PERFECT to me. It's going to be beautiful! I haven't seen this book. Are these quilters much harder than a "regular" bargello? Laura

x7lillies 02-03-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewplease (Post 5835696)
Wow, Kim - it looks PERFECT to me. It's going to be beautiful! I haven't seen this book. Are these quilters much harder than a "regular" bargello? Laura

The twist and turn patterns involve piecing different sections of the fabric "hoop" to get an overlapping look. She also varies the widths of each row more than I've seen in other patterns, but that makes the curve effects very good. I'd recommend picking the book up if you like bargellos. She's got great instructions, step by step, and very helpful charts and graphics.

GrannieAnnie 02-03-2013 02:40 PM

Great collection IMO. What I'd suggest is to sort of make up your own pattern. After sewing and cutting, law the strips out so that you mimic waves and horizons, maybe a bit of sky at the top and maybe one bit of tan sand at the bottom.

nancy14418 02-03-2013 08:12 PM

While I am sure you wrote this question to get help, you have given the rest of us a great lesson on reading value!
The black and white photo really makes a difference. So, thanks and I hope your quilt is all you want it to be.

cowgirlquilter 02-03-2013 08:18 PM

This is a gorgeous combination!!!!

CherryPie 02-03-2013 08:45 PM

Thanks to all the quilters and their comments. As yet, I have not gotten up enough courage to do a bargello and I also appreciate all the helpful hints. I would have never thought about taking and b/w photo. Looking forward to seeing your final product when you get finished.