Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Inventory Idea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-inventory-idea-t67476.html)

wolph33 09-30-2010 04:15 AM

great idea but for me fondling the stash is part of the fun when picking fabric for a quilt top.

Jannie 09-30-2010 12:49 PM

I'm not sure I want to take the time to scan all my material, but I saw someone post that they scanned the fabric they were thinking of using to cut up & play before getting into the fabric. So last night I scanned 4 pieces on to my computer so I could print & play with. Hopefully tonight I will be able to play with the paper & see what I like.

EmsMom 09-30-2010 01:22 PM

That is a great idea - thanks for sharing it!

DoxieMom 09-30-2010 02:56 PM

I got the idea to scan fabric when I was trying to figure out how I wanted to use a small amount of fabric that I really, really loved. After that, I just got into the habit of scanning anything new as I acquire it because it's easy to do right away when the fabric comes "home". I'm not going to go back and scan stuff already in my stash unless I have a limited amount that I can't afford to waste during the design process.

Originally Posted by Jannie
I'm not sure I want to take the time to scan all my material, but I saw someone post that they scanned the fabric they were thinking of using to cut up & play before getting into the fabric. So last night I scanned 4 pieces on to my computer so I could print & play with. Hopefully tonight I will be able to play with the paper & see what I like.

watterstide 09-30-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
I'm a fairly new quilter starting to build a stash. Lately, I've gotten into the habit of scanning fabrics as I bring them home. I save a jpeg file of each one in a "Fabric" folder I made in "My Documents". It's easy to do and very convenient to be able to browse the files without having to physically go through my stash. I can print full-scale paper copies of fabrics to cut and play around with when I'm in the designing stages and I don't have to cut into the fabrics I love until I'm more sure how I want to proceed.

To Late for me to do that! i would be at it for months and months! but an excellent idea for just beginning!
i have carried scrap pieces that i am looking for companion fabrics to go with it, in an old plastic baseball card holder, it folds up and tucks in my purse.

BellaBoo 09-30-2010 03:12 PM

I find pictures of my fabric online and just copy into EQ7. If you don't have EQ then save the picture of the fabric into a folder. It's faster then scanning to me. There are several online storage sites that will let you store 1GB of files for free. I let them store my files and not clog up my computer.

DoxieMom 09-30-2010 03:22 PM

Good idea also!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I find pictures of my fabric online and just copy into EQ7. If you don't have EQ then save the picture of the fabric into a folder. It's faster then scanning to me. There are several online storage sites that will let you store 1GB of files for free. I let them store my files and not clog up my computer.

Jan in VA 09-30-2010 03:33 PM

Hi, Doxiemom.....I need a mom; can you come to my house and do my stash now? It's really pretty here in VA right up against the mountains after all our air-cleaning rain, and very peaceful at my cottage. I'll welcome you with some great chicken salad when you get here. :lol: :lol:

Jan in VA

DoxieMom 09-30-2010 03:39 PM

You're funny! I bet VA is beautiful this time of year and I do like chicken salad, but my Mom schedule is booked in advance for quite a while into the future, just like my quilting schedule... :)

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Hi, Doxiemom.....I need a mom; can you come to my house and do my stash now? It's really pretty here in VA right up against the mountains after all our air-cleaning rain, and very peaceful at my cottage. I'll welcome you with some great chicken salad when you get here. :lol: :lol:

Jan in VA

:lol: :lol: