Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash Mystery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-mystery-t303871.html)

Anniedeb 03-27-2019 07:39 PM

Yes! Absolutely! I'm attracted to "shiny objects!" That's what I refer to my "I love this fabric I have to have it" syndrome. I used to buy tons of fabric, thinking I would find the perfect pattern. Now I can look through my stash and find pieces that I truly stare at and think where did that come from? I have no recollection of buying it. Only have a couple fabrics that fit the "what was I thinking" category.

SueZQ from MN 03-27-2019 07:54 PM

I keep telling my husband I believe that someone sneaks into my sewing room late at night and adds mystery fabric to my large stash for me to find at a later date and in exchange takes patterns, rulers and other fabrics with them that I can't seem to find later when I need them. That's the only logical explanation for the "why would I buy that?!" fabric that I have. Right?? haha

luvstoquilt 03-28-2019 03:51 AM

Absolutely! I love finding a surprise. I often love it but if not it is donated. Over time I have expanded quilt styles I want to make. I used to make only 30’s but have now gotten into civil war as well. Needless to say, my fabric collection has grown considerably.

hobbykat1955 03-28-2019 04:20 AM

Yup...and my issue is by the time I get bk to that fabric or kits...I wonder why I bought it to begin with because my taste has totally changed. I went from loving traditional, so stacked up tons of those fabrics, then Civil War and went thru buying Reproduction fabrics, wool applique, yup expensive wool, Oh lets not forget Crazy Quilts and all diff types of textured fabrics...I'm now totally into Landscape art quilts and yes my stash has expanded yet again.
Now the only thing is I have tons of stash that no longer interest me, not to mention Books.. I sell allot on ebay including tops I did and totally lost interest in completing.
My friend has a great idea...don't buy unless you have a specific project in mind to do right then and there. Where was that advise 12yrs ago! But it's an addiction as we all find out.

SusieQOH 03-28-2019 06:30 AM

Another yes!
I rarely buy fabric with a specific project in mind. I just buy what I love. It works out fine for me.

Jingle 03-28-2019 02:59 PM

I go through my fabrics often enough to know what I have. I am slowly using most of them up. Some I use for backs others I work into a pattern. I donate most of my quilts.

lindaschipper 03-29-2019 03:23 AM

I have the next 3 quilts planned out and each one put in it's own a Sterilite container with the pattern and thread. Left over scraps are cut into 1 1/2" strips for my "someday" super scrappy quilt that I also keep in Sterilite drawers. If I run across a fabric that makes me think "what the heck was I thinking?" I sell it on Facebook. Still, I have too much stuff!

institches33 03-29-2019 07:44 AM

About 60% of my stash fits this category.

joyce888 03-29-2019 11:04 AM

All the time! I get the ideas as I’m buying the fabric, but if I don’t write it down or pair it up as soon as I get home, I’m doomed.