Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-please-t153873.html)

quiltingcandy 09-18-2011 09:08 AM

The border can be anything that will compliment the squares. If you are going to frame them, you may be able to put a stabilizer behind them (like in a t-shirt quilt). If you have a good framer in town you might ask them for advice. I had one they stretched it onto a backboard and used the mat to frame it rather than fabric. But a friend of mine did it herself, put a fabric border and stretched that one the board and framed it. You have several options.

nativetexan 09-18-2011 09:15 AM

there is a light weight fusible used in clothing that would be good on the back of your blocks. would make them not so thin and stabilize them more. comes on a roll, just ask at Joann's. it's permanent, doesnt' wash out.
also you might have room to add some colorful corner triantles to the blocks. have fun.

Glassquilt 09-18-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
I forgot to mention that I am still wet behind the ears in quilting.

Lovely work. Once you've decided what you want to do with Grandma's embroidery make a sample or two. Get comfortable with your skills and then work on them.

joyce blint 09-18-2011 10:29 AM

If you want a country look, you could frame them in an old window frame that had 4 panes. Sash if necessary w 30's repro fabric, color to match your decor. You may wish to have glass put back in the frames to preserve the fabric.

tedytrser 09-18-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
These were suppose to be tea towels that my Grandma had done (she has passed). I wanted to put them in a quilt or wall hanging for her for Christmas. But, was looking for suggestions of how to do it. TIA for any help.

I realized my miss-type. Want to make it for my mother, she was her Mom

sarahconner 09-18-2011 02:45 PM

ditto. 30s prints or feedsacks and borders

VaNella 09-18-2011 02:47 PM

So sweet! I inherited some of these and I am planning to frame them in 30's prints (probably log cabin) and make pillows.

amandasgramma 09-18-2011 02:48 PM

I agree with the 30's prints .........and I also HIGHLY suggest the stabelizer. The fabric she probably embroidered them on are called "tea towels" and the fabric is VERY flimsey and ravels easily when cut. So look for a stabelizer that will be flexible and soft when quilted --- so you don't have a stiff area on each block. I'd also stabelize the whole block....not just behind the embroidering. Will be ADORABLE!

VaNella 09-18-2011 02:49 PM

awesome idea there!

Originally Posted by joyce blint
If you want a country look, you could frame them in an old window frame that had 4 panes. Sash if necessary w 30's repro fabric, color to match your decor. You may wish to have glass put back in the frames to preserve the fabric.

tedytrser 09-18-2011 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions