Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for Ugly Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-ugly-fabric-t304801.html)

Libits 05-19-2019 03:20 PM

They're in the trash. I hope I don't get fined by my municipality The quality of the fabric is worse than what appeared as I was sorting it. There can't be 5 threads per inch. I wouldn't give this to anyone. Case closed and movin' on!

Jingle 05-19-2019 03:46 PM

A real shame, I liked everyone of them. Quality may improve after washing and drying, like a lot of items do.

bearisgray 05-19-2019 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8255155)
eye of the beholder indeed ;) I love them, nay, even say lust for them!
I do agree with others, set them free, donate, compost. Sharyn

Me, too.

Offer them for the cost of postage.

cathyvv 05-19-2019 03:54 PM

Pretty fabrics. I suspect that you are a bit like me - too much of a good thing can overwhelm me. Then I have no clue what to do.

I suggest making a scrappy checkerboard quilt with the 4" blocks and white fabric. To make it go faster, Cut 4" x WOF white strips, then pin 4" squares to the white strip, sew 4" blocks to the white fabric, then cut them apart.

Happy piecing!

cathyvv 05-19-2019 03:55 PM

Ok. Your choice has been made. It was fun to think about the possibilities, though.

Libits 05-19-2019 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 8255226)
Ok. Your choice has been made. It was fun to think about the possibilities, though.

Wonderful and exciting possibilities. And since I always buy more fabric than I need, I've accumulated quite the stash so I'll be thinking about all these suggestions. I honestly don't think this fabric would have made it through one laundering cycle on gentle. I'm bookmarking this post! Thank you everyone!

meyert 05-19-2019 04:06 PM

I imagined much worse than what the pictures showed ha ha ha

I was given some ugly fabric one and was in a similar situation. I ended up making 2 very simple quilt pattern quilts - just blocks. then I practiced my FMQ on it. It was good practice because I was not in a panic fit about how my quilting looked

then I donated them to a church who donated them to the homeless.

QuiltE 05-19-2019 04:12 PM

Oh my goodness ... the trash! *sniff* *sniff*

Sorry, but I am like many of the others and was right in love with them.
Especially how you showed the colour groupings.
Though I was envisioning mixing them for a nice old fashioned sort of a quilt.

Good for you though. You made your decision and have moved on ......

SusieQOH 05-19-2019 04:20 PM

Libits- good for you! Some things just aren't worth the hassle.
I just donated 6 large bags of fabric I knew I was never going to use and freed up a lot of space in my sewing room.
I couldn't be happier :)

illinois 05-20-2019 02:36 AM

Trash? Oh, no! When I saw them, I thought "vintage". But maybe that's not your "cup of tea". Yes, they would have made a darling quilt for a little person. Perhaps you don't want to use your valuable quilting time on donation quilts but there are numerous places to donate small quilts--nursing homes, preemie facilities, DCFS, camps for disabled children, Linus. Some church groups would have welcomed your donation to send quilts to missions. In fact, some organizations specifically ask for ugly quilts as they are less likely to be sold/stolen for drug money. I liked what I saw. To each his own!