Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T- Shirt Quilt Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-help-t160884.html)

rosiewell 10-17-2011 03:54 PM

I use butcher paper on the back and leave it on until the square is sewn to borders or another square, then I rip it away. I am working on my 4th tshirt quilt and it works great for me!

Shrink42020 10-17-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
http://reviews.ebay.com/Make-Your-Ow...00000000832366

here's a guide I wrote many years ago on making a t-shirt quilt.

the link is off my ebay page.

WOW! Thanks sooooooo very much!!

quiltingqueenonline 10-17-2011 06:13 PM

As a longarm quilter, please be kind to your longarm quilter by using a tricot iron-on interfacing to stablize the t-shirts. It is the only one that stays stuck down, doesn't add as much weight as other types and brands of iron-on interfacing, and it is soft. I find it helpful to use a thin pressing cloth (I use a plain "floursack tea towel) between your interfacing and the iron. The pressing cloth prevents any residue from the interfacing building up on your iron.

maryb119 10-18-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingqueenonline
As a longarm quilter, please be kind to your longarm quilter by using a tricot iron-on interfacing to stablize the t-shirts. It is the only one that stays stuck down, doesn't add as much weight as other types and brands of iron-on interfacing, and it is soft. I find it helpful to use a thin pressing cloth (I use a plain "floursack tea towel) between your interfacing and the iron. The pressing cloth prevents any residue from the interfacing building up on your iron.

If you use a tricot knit interfacing, be sure to put the knit crossways of the knit on the tee shirt. Knit stretches and if it goes the same direction, it is not very stable. The knit on the tee shirt will be up and down, Put the interfacing sideways.

ZTAgirlknits 10-18-2011 03:52 PM

You guys have all been super helpful!!! Now I just need to find the right interfacing and I should be good to go! Where does one find these brands like pellon and tricot and all that?

Grambi 10-18-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
You guys have all been super helpful!!! Now I just need to find the right interfacing and I should be good to go! Where does one find these brands like pellon and tricot and all that?

My LQS carries it and I have found it at Joann's and Hancock Fabrics.

Mariposa 10-18-2011 04:28 PM

I use a lightweight NON-woven fusible interfacing. Get it at Joann's on sale~ :)

frugalfabrics 10-18-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits

I get the Pellon brand at Joann fabrics...I usually wait until I have a 50% off coupon and then buy lots.

margecam52 10-18-2011 06:21 PM

Great tips...I use a Lightweight, Nonwoven, fusible (purple package at Walmart, or off the bolt..depends on how many I want to make)..and I do mine like purfectquilts does.

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Use the lightest weight fusible stablizer you can find. Making sure that you put the stretch of the stablizer crosswise of the stretch of the t shirt. I cut the stabilizer into pieces slightly larger than I want, fuse it to the shirt and then cut the block to size.

Use a wee touch of a washable glue stick to help hold your seams open rather than pressing to one side (less bulk). Press nicely but remember not to press over any rubberized, painted, etc. emblems on the t shirt.

They look good with or without sashing. This picture will show some of the blocks I am working on. They are not yet in final placement and do not show the sashing.

booklady 10-18-2011 06:39 PM

These are not hard to do, just take your time. I've made 4 or 5 so far. My daughter's is two sided with t'shirts on both sides.