Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell me I'm not alone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-im-not-alone-t56618.html)

Nanjun 07-30-2010 08:16 AM

This brings another subject to mind. Why do the mfg. use such bold fabric to make clothes for large women?

damaquilts 07-30-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
This brings another subject to mind. Why do the mfg. use such bold fabric to make clothes for large women?

I am with you . The other thing I don't understand is the fabrics. awful unless you are paying very high prices and most of the prints are pretty bad too. I see lots of cute prints, fabrics and styles that could be used for us larger size women but they stop them in size 10 I have never been a 10. Went from kids sizes straight to a misses 12 when I was a teenager

sltiffee 07-30-2010 09:56 AM

I can't tell you how many times I have emberessed my self by going up to someone and touched a peace of there clothing. or said to them I would love a piece of it for a quilt. I still don't buy fabric to quilt. I quilt to buy fabric.

DMcbaby 07-30-2010 10:32 AM

My husband died over two years ago and I'm making quilts out of his cotton shirts for my six children. I have six made and have lots of shirts left to make more for my grandchildren. I even have one started to keep for myself. This has been a real labor of love and special gifts for my family.
Thanks for sharing about what we see people wearing. You are not odd at all. Just another quilter!!!

DOTTYMO 07-30-2010 10:35 AM

my father was in intensive care when I brother had to come from work to his bedside. After a few minutes I told him his tie would be great for quilting. no your not mad we all are.

cka 07-30-2010 12:57 PM

I've asked people if I can take a picture of their clothes so I can remember the fabric's pattern or color. My family just looks the other direction. I always carry pieces of tracing paper in my purse so I can trace wallpaper patterns. Nope, you are not crazy...you are a member of a very elite club...Quilters!!

auntiehenno 07-30-2010 12:59 PM

Have commented on men's shirts also, and to the man wearing them. They seemed flattered.

grandma Janice 07-30-2010 01:22 PM

I am handquilting a memory quilt right now made from my sister's husband's tropical shirts. He always wore them and he died last year. They are very pretty and the quilt is nice but that material is hard to work with. it wants to go catty Wompus. When I saw them, I could not believe the beauty of them.

katiescraftshop 07-30-2010 02:32 PM

I get weird looks all the time from people when I tell them that their clothing item would make a great addition to what I call "a quilt in progress". A great place to find wonderful items where no one looks at you weird is Goodwill. They do specials on Sundays to move merchandise. I found some great jeans for $1. a pair.

katiescraftshop 07-30-2010 02:34 PM

When working with odd fabrics like those found in alot of tropical shirts I like to use a very light weight stabilizer. Sometimes a little harder to get the needle through but it helps it keep the shape.