Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ???????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-who-made-ironing-board-covers-i-have-t175338.html)

Scissor Queen 01-12-2012 11:31 AM

Take it apart and take the poly out. It'll melt. If you use a lot of steam or starch I would add a layer of foil or the board will warp before long. I would use one layer of Warm and Natural batting and a cotton canvas or cotton duck cover. In a class I took with a national quilt teacher she told us the teflon covers allow too much slipping when you press and let your pieces distort too much. You want a cover with some grip.

yngldy 01-12-2012 01:21 PM

I did almost what another on here stated, but I used a 12" square, about 1/4' thick plywood. Cut one layer of w&n the size of the board, one layer larger to fold over so that no splinters would come thru (did sand edges a little). Stapled on back. Cut 2 pieces of canvas a couple inches larger, made a strip to use as loop to hang, pinned all as close as possible to board and serged edges. With help, I guess you could do that to any size needed. Anyway, when all was done, I took the board outside on a very hot day and got the canvas wet. It shrank to tighten. I open my desk drawer, place just inside and iron on it when I am piecing. When it starts looking nasty, (spit from iron, spills, etc) I take it outside and hang on nail and wash with Dawn and then hose it down. If that doesn't work, I use bleach or lemon juice and let the sun do it's thing. As long as it is a hot day and you do it fairly early so the wood drys fast if it gets wet, there is no warpage. Washed a June Taylor Square and Block that way also. Looks good as new!

Murphy 01-12-2012 01:24 PM

I used plywood, covered that with muslin, covered that with insulbrite, and final top is quilted padded fabric. Seems to be just right. Hope this helps.

CorgiNole 01-12-2012 01:34 PM

Actually - you probably have too much cushion. A firmer surface is better for pressing sharp seams.

My big board is 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood
1 layer wool army blanket - for padding
1 layer duck cloth (actually a painting drop cloth from Lowe's) - for pressing.

Cheers, K

Val in IN 01-12-2012 01:36 PM

LOVE the aluminum foil tip!!

shawnemily 01-12-2012 01:51 PM

We found an OLD wooden ironing board at an auction and got it for $1!!! My honey made me a 25"X60" top for it and we covered it with a double layer of cotton blend (80/20; 20% poly) and then a laer of insulbrite. I had some 100% cotton yardage that I didnt really like so I used it for the top. It looks great and works fantastic!!

pinkberrykay 01-12-2012 02:36 PM

Thank everyone for all your help. I can tell the poly batting has already melted b/c it doesnt feel like its there. The tin foil idea is great, didnt even think about the warping from steam and spray starch.

I will be rebuilding the board tomorrow!!! You all are AWESOME!!!:thumbup:

luvTooQuilt 01-12-2012 02:53 PM

I used plywood, layered old ugly beach towels... then a layer of W&N batting.... then a layer of Insulbrite.... covered with cheapo muslin, stapled it down and made a Duck Canvas removable/washable cover with drawstrings So i can toss it in the wash when the layers of over-spray starch gets to crunchy.. lol..

Works great for me..

Drue 01-12-2012 03:07 PM

I make mine as well whenI can't find a pattern I like already made up...they are always too big. My ironing board was purchased by my mom at goodwill in about 1939 or 1940. It's wood and it's narrow and I love it. A few years ago, I took it all the way down to the wood. I'd never done that before. I always left a muslin covering on it. I found n old wool blanket that had been cut into a couple of pieces and tacked on the underside of the board and then covered with muslin. When I recovered it, I used about 4 layers of cotton batting and then a new layer of muslin. I found a really cute cover at JoAnns a few years ago and bought two...has spools and needles and scissors and sewing notions on a creamy background...of course it's way too big for my board, but I just fold it under and then use my staple gun to secure it ( with 1/4" staples)...makes it easy to change out, just take a screwdriver to pop out the staples. Guess I need to take a pic of my antique ironing board and post it sometime. Good luck!

Drue 01-12-2012 03:11 PM

DH made an 18" square topper for my antique ironing board out of 1/4 " plywood. I had him put two runners down the under side that fit on the top of the old board to keep the topper from slipping from side to side. I needed this for applique' blocks. Covered in two layers of cotton batting and then a layer or two of muslin...Works like a champ!