Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Snipping Warning (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-snipping-warning-t187907.html)

Neesie 05-02-2012 05:23 PM

Thread Snipping Warning

When snipping the frayed and tangled threads, from a newly washed and dried length of black Kona cotton, always unfold the fabric, before snipping. Just saying. . . . :shock:

barny 05-02-2012 05:40 PM

LOL, did you just cut a chunk out of your fabric? Or maybe cut yourself?

DogHouseMom 05-02-2012 05:43 PM

Oh no!

I bring my little scissors into the laundry room and snip the frays after the wash and before the dry.

Neesie 05-02-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 5189344)
LOL, did you just cut a chunk out of your fabric? Or maybe cut yourself?

Just a little snippet, near the middle of the yardage, about the size of a pin head. Luckily, it only got one layer . . . and the fabric will be used mostly for sashing. It was one of those slow-motion-type moments, as the tip of the scissors closed on the fabric. LOL

bluteddi 05-02-2012 05:51 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate when that happens........

mighty 05-02-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi (Post 5189376)
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate when that happens........

I second that!!!!!!!

Neesie 05-02-2012 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5189351)
Oh no!

I bring my little scissors into the laundry room and snip the frays after the wash and before the dry.

I usually do the same, in order to untangle the fabric. Lucky me - this piece didn't tangle, so didn't get snipped until later. Lesson learned! LOL

jaciqltznok 05-02-2012 06:25 PM

yikes.....just put a sticky note on it and you will be fine!

Neesie 05-02-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5189451)
yikes.....just put a sticky note on it and you will be fine!

I put a safety pin, over the hole, before folding the fabric (with pin side up). Probably need to put sticky note warnings, on all sharp objects! Between stabbing myself with pins (smoothing fabric that's already been pinned) and mishaps with scissors . . . . Well, it's like that Catherine Aird quotation, 'If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.' LOL

burchquilts 05-02-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5189367)
Just a little snippet, near the middle of the yardage, about the size of a pin head. Luckily, it only got one layer . . . and the fabric will be used mostly for sashing. It was one of those slow-motion-type moments, as the tip of the scissors closed on the fabric. LOL

Be glad it was "just" fabric... I did that was a completed quilt! There was a little thread sticking out from some applique, I snipped & voila! A hole in a quilt that was about 2 hours away from being presented at a baby shower! Luckily it was a quilt with flower blocks & believe it or not, I had one of those little pre-made appliques of a bumblebee, so I slapped it on there. Whew!