Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip from Man Sewing Rod Appell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-man-sewing-rod-appell-t262038.html)

pocoellie 03-02-2015 07:46 PM

I've been doing it that way for years. My sewing machine guy told me to do it that way.

ctrysass2012 03-02-2015 09:00 PM

I was told this when I brought my Janome in to the Bernina dealer because of tension issues. I had been doing it the "wrong" way for 40+ years. Even through I got the Janome used I may have contributed to the tension issues because of this. Hopefully, I always remember with my new Bernina.:)

KwiltyKahy 03-03-2015 03:48 AM

I saw this on an episode of Nancy Zieman. She called it flossing the machine. I try to remember.

jmoore 03-03-2015 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 (Post 7112091)
Back in 1998 when I bought my first "from the dealer" machine I was taught this. This past year I was with my Mom and she had never heard it...

I'm with your mom... this is the first I've learned of this tip and it makes total sense. I, too, love the knowledge and information shared on this wonderful Board.

sandy l 03-03-2015 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7112440)
I always teach this in classes too -- cut thread at spool, pull out thru the needle.
Same with bobbins -- remove bobbin from case leaving threads intact into the case. Cut thread at bobbin and pull thread thru bobbin case in same direction as it goes into the machine.

Jan in VA

Never thought about doing the same thing with bobbin thread and case. Makes sense tho.

sewvic 03-03-2015 04:53 AM

I learned that trick a long time ago. It is supposed to avoid fuzzy stuff in the tension disks of the machine. So far it's working for me. First heard this on Sewing With Nancy way back when.

Linda1 03-03-2015 05:53 AM

I have been doing that for several years. I read it somewhere that you should raise your pressure foot then cut the thread at the spool and pull out at the bottom. I don't mind wasting a few inches of thread.

Seaside gal 03-03-2015 06:29 AM

I just heard this tip a couple of years ago and so I do it that way now. I learned to sew in a sewing class in high school but we still had treadle machines. Maybe our teacher had never heard of this tip either. Our first project was a sheath style jumper. Some company had donated many many yards of this nice weight fabric and we all made the same pattern. I wore that jumper for years with or without a blouse, with or without a belt. I wish I still had it. We also made dresses, skirts, blouses, baby clothes, and yes I think we made an apron. The teacher also taught us the importance of a seam ripper.

gram2five 03-03-2015 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7112440)
I always teach this in classes too -- cut thread at spool, pull out thru the needle.
Same with bobbins -- remove bobbin from case leaving threads intact into the case. Cut thread at bobbin and pull thread thru bobbin case in same direction as it goes into the machine.

Jan in VA

Makes perfect sense to do the same with the bobbin thread, but I would never have thought of it. Thanks for adding this tip Jan.

Latrinka 03-03-2015 07:36 AM

I've always done it this way, don't remember ever being taught this, it just makes sense to keep everything moving in the same direction. Kind of like driving in the right lane to me, never really thought about it.