Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips for 1/4" seam allowance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-1-4-seam-allowance-t211375.html)

Candace 01-19-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5797012)
Thanks--I will try that. But I don't comprehend why a foot designed for quilting will not measure a "scant" 1/4" accurately.

Because every machine will have a bit different needle placement. The foot helps, but you need to figure out the scant 1/4" for each machine.

LoisM 01-19-2013 09:52 AM

Great tip! Thanks!

Holice 01-19-2013 09:57 AM

Because they are a mechanical manufactured product which most likely is not checked for its accuracy. This is the nature of manufacturing. One must know how the equipment works. This is part of "knowing your machine" Even the machine might not be centered correctly. One must adjust to these differences. Are all measurng spoons exactly 1/4 teaspoon. I could go on and on.

Holice 01-19-2013 09:59 AM

I tell students they must see the fuzz on the bottom layer to be sure they are lined up exactly. If they can't see it then most likely the bottom layer will be out of alignment.

Dolphyngyrl 01-19-2013 10:10 AM

I have never had a problem sewing 1/4 with any of my brothers and their 1/4 inch foot, for scant you can just use your regular presser foot and adjust needle position to get your scant. I haven't needed a scant yet but I have not worked with anything but strips,applique, and PP, no triangle or set in seams yet that need that scant but it can be done, you just have to measure on your machine and write down your settings. I don't think its the feet. I find the ones without the lip more accurate for me as you can see you fabric to make sure it guides straight. Mine always measure 1/4 in with my ruler when I do my cutting

PaperPrincess 01-19-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5797399)
Because every machine will have a bit different needle placement. The foot helps, but you need to figure out the scant 1/4" for each machine.

It also pays to double check when you change fabric type, like going from cotton to flannel. The thread weight also plays a part. The thickness of the thread effects how much room will be taken up when you press your seam.

marsharini 01-19-2013 01:22 PM

Tips like this is what makes this such a great place, especially for a new quilter like me. Thanks.

jemma 01-19-2013 07:26 PM

Ricky Timms advises this and when he sews curves it works like magic i've tried it and I can make it work !!!

JoyceRowell 01-20-2013 04:10 AM

Thank you I have got to try this....

labeelady 01-20-2013 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 5797012)
But I don't comprehend why a foot designed for quilting will not measure a "scant" 1/4" accurately.

I don't either. On my machine, the needle is slightly more than 1/4" away from the edge of the so-called 1/4" foot. Therefore, when I start up the machine, I have to move the needle to the right 2 positions to get right measurement.