Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too many fat quarters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-fat-quarters-t147342.html)

sherian 08-24-2011 01:14 PM

Christmas is coming \ I made bags for sunday school
for class, I made teachers sockings, tree skirt for
sister and brother, church sectary a book cover for bible.
I added some christnas trim on some rick rack, ribbon,
gold and silver trims. Last year - I made kids at grandson's
school bags for the books mom's put 2 books in each also
gave the neighbors children. I was surpised how well fabric
and trim made them look like christmas, and for kids any
colorful fabric not christmas to use all year.
Some christmas fabric, mostly used fabric of all kinds to use
everyday. - This year my mother in law is in nursing home and I will try to fix them something.

luckylindy333 08-24-2011 01:22 PM

I would sort them by color, pick out two colors that go together or oppose each other on the color wheel, like red and green or purple and orange, then make a scrappy quilt! There you go!!!

nanquilt 08-24-2011 01:25 PM

I agree

sparkys_mom 08-24-2011 01:58 PM

This thread has inspired me to make one of those puzzle quilts. Having some electrical work done today and was exiled from my sewing room so I spent the afternoon cutting the pieces. Now I'm just laying them out.

auntdeb 08-24-2011 02:37 PM

I would use them on scrapy quilts too. I love them. The scrapier the better. String piece on paper.

playswithcolor 08-24-2011 02:47 PM

How can one have too many fat quarters?

If you are stuck, pull out a color wheel and choose a color scheme. Then go to your FQ stash and sort out the colors you need. Pull a variety of values of each color. Then get cutting.....

If you have lots of different colors maybe a twister quilt would be fun. You need some contrast between squares when you make it.

For those-" why did I buy it FQs" cut them up for a block that has some small pieces.... It's amazing how uglies plus a solid (red, black, etc) can make stunning quilts.

carslo 08-24-2011 03:24 PM

Try the wickedly easy quilt it is designed for fat quarters!

starshine 08-24-2011 03:24 PM

I have seen a couple of books at my library -Fat quarter quilts and Fat quarter quilts 2, so there must be patterns out there that use them. Haven't read all the posts but Yellow Brick Road is based on fqs and I think a couple other patterns are too.

thrums 08-24-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Used to buy fat quarters because I liked the pattern, color, print etc. Now I have waaay too many. What would you make with them since they don't really go together. I guess I could sort them some way but would you make scrappy quilts or buy something that matches several and find a pattern. If so, what pattern would you use?
Thanks for your opinions.

May I suggest the International Fabric Swap that Carsey is hosting. We're exchaning FQs world wide. See the Swap section for more details.

sheria 08-24-2011 03:43 PM

ditto

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC

Originally Posted by melissa Dove
Sorry you must have mis typed ! How CAN you have TOO MANY FQ's,

I was rather confused by that statement too! :shock:

:roll: