Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Tacky for a Quilt Show?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-tacky-quilt-show-t107776.html)

DeniseP 03-16-2011 07:04 AM

HAHAHAHA!!!!How true!

Originally Posted by ckcowl
have you seen some of the quilts in shows??? tacky is not an issue

ladydi64 03-16-2011 07:06 AM

I would take back my quilts from the LA, 3 years is too long, and are you sure she still has them and that nothing has bappened to them. That happened to someone else on this board and when she contacted the LA, that person could not even find her quilt top. Call her immediately.

quiltmouse 03-16-2011 07:09 AM

IMHO, you were invited, so go. I don't think showing finished tops only would be tacky.

They are stunning!

Ellen 1 03-16-2011 07:39 AM

Your longarm quilter must REALLY be GOOD to leave a quilt there for THREE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

libthekwltr 03-16-2011 08:21 AM

I agree, Holice...by the way, I really, really like your avatar!! Is that a quilt that you made? More importantly, do you have the pattern name for it -- I just LOVE it, particularly the bright colors that are used -- great job!

redmadder 03-16-2011 08:28 AM

Our small group in a little tourist town decided to hang a show in the library, three stories, lots of banisters, balconies, blank walls and tables. Beautiful old polished wood and carvings. When everyone got their stuff hung, it was barely noticible in all that space.

I went home and brought baskets of UFOs and set up demonstration areas, stacked fabric, displayed blocks, WIPs, thread and notions. I heard more than one comment about all the strings but mostly raves for our show. Maybe it was tacky, but a real education for non-quilters.

msariano 03-16-2011 08:31 AM

In my opinion, I'd try to get them finished. Otherwise there will be lots of snide remarks from the peanut gallery. I usually don't criticize quilts out loud at shows because I'm there alone. But I have heard some not so complimentary comments from others. If you're the featured quilter, well, the attention to the details in your quilt will be intensified.

quilterguy27 03-16-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by libthekwltr
I agree, Holice...by the way, I really, really like your avatar!! Is that a quilt that you made? More importantly, do you have the pattern name for it -- I just LOVE it, particularly the bright colors that are used -- great job!

Holice: I've admired your avatar for some time as well. I love the rainbow colors. I would like to know about the pattern as well. Thanks

jljack 03-16-2011 10:46 AM

I think I'd check with the person who invited you, to be sure they understand what you would be displaying.

I haven't seen just quilt tops by a featured artist...all of them have been completed quilts.

jljack 03-16-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
THREE YEARS?????????

You must be VERY patient!

I have to agree with this statement. :shock: Three years is really really waaaaay too long, even if she had explanations and you have been agreeing. There's no way she should have been putting you off for 3 years!!