Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Took the plunge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/took-plunge-t218373.html)

Sewfine 04-07-2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll have to give it a try.

Buckeye Rose 04-07-2013 02:21 PM

When I use glue to baste a sandwich, I drizzle thin lines of glue onto the batting and then pat/smooth the fabric onto the batting....I don't have to worry about wrinkles on the fabric because I can see everything I am doing with it.....I do one entire side whether top or backing....and then do the other complete side.....easier than taping down the top, glue and then batting and still not knowing for sure there aren't wrinkles until done....just my way of making things easier for me.

Teeler 04-07-2013 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did too! So fast and easy! I found the clear Elmer's...beautiful results on my Blooming Nine!
Congrats to you (and me, too :) ) !

♪♫
I love glue...
It makes me a jolly good fellloowwwwwww!!! ♫ ♪

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406689[/ATTACH]

Dee 04-07-2013 05:10 PM

I just bought a tube too. So will try it on next quilt.

MothrNatr 04-07-2013 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc (Post 5981839)
I just finished a quilt that I used glue to sandwich the whole thing. Unfortunately, there were a couple of areas that were a little thick with glue. Still had no problems sewing and it washed out with no problems. It's SO nice to not have to worry about fabric shifting when quilting!

Do you wait for the glue to dry before quilting? I would think that the dry glue would be stiff?? Some mentioned Elmer's School glue, others, mentioned glue sticks - are those elmer's School glue too?

Maggiem 04-07-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MothrNatr (Post 5985528)
Do you wait for the glue to dry before quilting? I would think that the dry glue would be stiff?? Some mentioned Elmer's School glue, others, mentioned glue sticks - are those elmer's School glue too?

I don't find the result stiff, but maybe others have differing experiences.

We don't have Elmer's school glue where I live, so I use washable glue sticks. The important, vital, absolutely essential thing is that the glue be washable, so that it washes out. If in doubt, do a sample.

mamab113 04-08-2013 03:56 AM

I finally tried the glue yesterday while binding a table runner. It was so easy!!

sulliquilts 04-08-2013 04:55 AM

great idea

I have used glue sticks for years in freezer paper applique. It washes out easily. Never tried it for borders, but it sounds great. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it works out.

catmcclure 04-08-2013 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 (Post 5981454)
I tried it, and loved the ease of sewing, but it was a bear when I had to rip out a seam.. Does anyone have advise on how to use the seam ripper easier?

Dampen the seam - it releases the glue.

Judi in Ohio 04-08-2013 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5981300)
Picked up a bottle of Elmers School Glue last week. It sat on my desk staring at me so I finally got brave, took my quilt that still needed borders off the design wall and glued the first border on. NEVER, EVER, will I pin a border again. Oh my gosh, it was so nice to sew a border on and not get stuck with a pin in the process! Thanks to everyone for posting about the glue!! :thumbup:

Has anyone tried the Clover wonder clips - love them. I like the glue, but love the wonder clips.