Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to share the quilting (sewing) fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-share-quilting-sewing-fun-t141782.html)

luvnquilt 08-01-2011 06:28 AM

Gary, what a wonderful thing to do, I love the idea of a women's shelter rather than goodwill, seems more "pay it forward" to me.

PaperPrincess 08-01-2011 08:15 AM

Bless your heart, Gary!

kwilter 08-01-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Garylester
Maybe I've found a way to share, as so many do in quilting. I have my grandmother's Singer she bought in 1920 and a Singer Touch & Sew, so I don't need another machine. But I couldn't resist a Singer 5808c at a garage sale, just to see if I could get it to work. I could afford $10. Got it oiled and working. I'm going to give it to Good Will. Perhaps someone needs an inexpensive machine just to get started in quilting. Anyone have ideas on this way to share in quilting/sewing? Great people here. Gary

You might try a Freecycle site. (I had one today looking for a sewing machine in Elmhurst.)

niizh 08-01-2011 10:56 AM

You need to be aware there are lot of people who shop goodwill for items then resell. I visit our local goodwill often. While there early one morning, was surprised to see how many people were there. Turns out, these were people looking for items to resell. Same things happen with Freecycle. This is unfortunate. I don't know what the answer is to be sure the machine goes to someone in real need.

amma 08-01-2011 11:07 AM

Maybe check with local quilt guilds/sewing groups and see if they know of anyone in need of a machine :D:D:D

jquilt214 08-01-2011 12:13 PM

I have had past experiences with Goodwill. Not good. Supervisors and staff personnel go through all donations and pick them for themselves and a lot never get to the sales floor. A lot of the stores the handicapped workers are treated bad by the bosses. I avoid giving to them and give to DAV or organizations that really appreciate the donations.

debbieumphress 08-01-2011 12:48 PM

Gosh, I could think of lots of ways to donate the machine to good causes. Project Linus gets donations of machines and women's shelters, senior centers , a lot of good ideas on here.

Murphy 08-01-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by gramto4
What about giving it to a women's shelter? Maybe there is someone who could help them make or alter clothing.

Wonderful idea! Ditto!!

pumpkinpatchquilter 08-01-2011 02:15 PM

That is a pretty awesome thing to do Gary...another thought is to donate it to a local Church. They usually know what members might benefit from a machine...ones who sew and ones who may be disadvantaged.

ube quilting 08-01-2011 02:49 PM

We have a Habitat for Humanity Store near me And they love donations like this. They sell all the stuff and all the money they make goes right into building housing. Try an on line search for one near you if this would be of interest.
peace

The stores are called Habitat Re store