Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning living room into sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-living-room-into-sewing-room-t206027.html)

grandme26 11-16-2012 09:04 AM

I also live alone and have changed almost half of my living room into a sewing room. After all a living room is to live in and since I sew daily, it is now in my living room. You will love it.

sunnymom 11-16-2012 09:14 AM

I think you should make your living room into sewing room if that makes you happy. We turned our dining room and gym room into my studio. It's 12X20 and I have my huge APQS longarm and 2 sewing tables and cutting table in it and it is absolutely perfect! We put closetmaid shelves all around the top perimeter of the room to house my fabric and I have never been happier! One nice bonus is it's off of the kitchen if I get hungry and right off the koi fish pond and deck where I can have a beautiful view and watch my pups! Originally we were going to turn our double car garage into a studio but the heating and cooling was an issue as well as the finishing costs. Plus no windows! I am so glad we did this! :)

quilter41 11-16-2012 09:32 AM

If you are living there alone I see no reason why you can't do as you please. Now for me my DH hates the noise and wants me where he can't hear the machines. However he also likes my company, so I have to sew when he's not around. After 53 years you just learn everything can't go your way.

sewnut 11-16-2012 09:38 AM

I have. I live in a tiny 400 square foot apartment and the living room is really the only place for it. So one corner is my craft area, one corner is my library one corner is for my sofa where my TV is on the opposite wall and the other corner is for my computer. It works fabulous for me. And yes i'm also alone with my wonderful little tabby baby. I say go for it! you'll love it as much as I do.

roserips 11-16-2012 09:38 AM

I have already figured when I live alone to have living room as my studio and sewing room as guest room/fabric storage. Anyone coming to visit me already knows I love to sew and they are there to share that joy with me whether it is to have me make something for them or just spend time together creating. Won't do that yet as hubby still requires some space. Just planning for that distance future.

sparkys_mom 11-16-2012 10:04 AM

As Nike says - "Just do it!".

QandE2010 11-16-2012 11:04 AM

I agree with the other comments. Go for it and enjoy!!!!

nannyrick 11-16-2012 11:32 AM

It's your place, go for it. Good luck.

CAS49OR 11-16-2012 12:07 PM

I think it's a great idea! Do what makes you happy and comfortable!

barri1 11-16-2012 12:27 PM

I did it, and I love it.. I'm in a one bedroom apt, and there was plenty of room for six of us, plus an 85 lb dog, and my 15 lb dog.. They were at my place for close to two weeks while they had no electric from the storm..