Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning off your machine.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-off-your-machine-t164617.html)

Zhillslady 10-31-2011 12:32 PM

I'm picky about wasting electricity. I have my iron, lamp and machine on one surge protector. Anytime I'm walking away for more than to fill my water glass I switch it off.

Hosta 10-31-2011 12:36 PM

wouldn't it be just like a regular computer screen? Mine goes into sleep mode but it still might damage the screen with shadows from the pic on the screen.

SherryW 10-31-2011 04:12 PM

I leave mine on as long as I'll be coming back to it. I never leave it plugged in if I'm not using it. The computerized machines can be harmed by power surges just like a computer.

familyfun 10-31-2011 04:18 PM

I turn mine off when I am done with that days sewing or start working on something else, loading dishwasher, doing laundry ect...
I Always unplug, I am using my mom's Designer I and am terrified enough that I will just break it. Let alone having something fail because I left on when not in use or did not unplug and we had an electrical issue.

QuiltingGrannie 10-31-2011 04:18 PM

If I'm in the room sewing but take a short break it stays on. If I'm gone for longer it gets turned off. When I am done for the day or leave the house for any reason it gets turned off and unplugged.
My longarm and computer is on only when I'm using it. Once done it gets turned off and unplugged.
And both get unplugged if a storm is in the area.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie

quilted dakota 11-01-2011 02:48 AM

not sure, I turn off and unplug everything when i leave the room, always afraid the puppy will get in there and stomp across the foot pedal!

jeanneb52 11-01-2011 02:50 AM

I am guilty of just walking away for hours....only notice later when the room is dark and she is lit! Bad girl! I am trying though.

jitkaau 11-01-2011 02:57 AM

My father was an electrical engineer. He instilled in me to turn stuff of when not in use. However, there have been lots of improvements, electronically, since he passed on. I still use a surge shield and switch them off when I stop sewing.

MaryKatherine 11-01-2011 02:57 AM

Mine is connected to the wall switch circuit. I leave the room, I turn it off. (Same with my iron.. if I forget to turn it off, the wall switch does the trick.)
MK

mar32428 11-01-2011 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I turn mine off when I leave the room. I have a small dog that loves to snoop around everywhere. She "helped" me sew the other day while I was sitting there. I couldn't figure out why it started sewing on its own. Thankfully it scared her and she stepped right off the foot pedal, so I didn't get a huge thread snarl to clear up!

That's my concern too. I have three cats and one is a little mix, into everything including my sewing. I do keep a door closed but sometimes she sneaks in there. I'm afraid she'll get on the pedals too. Also, it saves your light.