Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning Twenty - Fabric selection? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-twenty-fabric-selection-t34280.html)

nancy jane 01-19-2010 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done a couple of Turning 20 lap quilts and I purchase 1/2 yd. fabrics. By doing that I only need to select 1/2 the number of fabrics . The attached photo is a monochromatic brown and white lap quilt I did for my niece. I know some of the blocks look rather grey/taupe, but they are really brown.

nancy jane 01-19-2010 12:10 PM

I have made a couple of turning 20 lap quilts. I double the amount of every fabric I choose (purchase 1/2 yrds instead of fat quarters) therefore simplifying my fabric selection.

sewgull 01-19-2010 06:13 PM

My first TT was for my G-daughter. She picked a busy print, from there we choose other solids, prints anything that had similar colors to the first fabric. She loves her quilt. Will try to post picture.
My second TT is black and white. I will try to post a picture in a couple of days. Only have the binding to complete. This one is a wedding gift for my niece.

Miss Mona 01-20-2010 08:53 AM

My first Turning Twenty was exactly like the pattern, well blended materials. My second one was from half yard pieces semi matching the colors. From then on I used my fabric scraps, no matter what color. So far from scraps I have made 3 Turning Twenty and they are all gorgeous. Don't let matching colors intimate you. A Turning Twenty looks great scrappy

kd124 01-23-2010 12:00 AM

One way to match colors is to find a print you like the color combination of and use it as a guide. The print you use as a guide does not have to be one you use, it is just for the colors. Check for the color circles on the selvedge. You can use those to choose coordinating fabric. To get as many fabrics as you want to use choose colors of different value of the dots shown (or in the print if not dots.) I fell in love with a fabric for my granddaughter, used the dots for my coordinating colors, then ended up not using the original fabric.

ladygen 01-23-2010 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
One way to match colors is to find a print you like the color combination of and use it as a guide. The print you use as a guide does not have to be one you use, it is just for the colors. Check for the color circles on the selvedge. You can use those to choose coordinating fabric. To get as many fabrics as you want to use choose colors of different value of the dots shown (or in the print if not dots.) I fell in love with a fabric for my granddaughter, used the dots for my coordinating colors, then ended up not using the original fabric.

Oh, how blonde I feel... I didn't know that's what the dots were! I figured they were random... or something...

chris_quilts 01-23-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen

Originally Posted by kd124

Oh, how blonde I feel... I didn't know that's what the dots were! I figured they were random... or something...

We've all been there. When I first started buying fabric, I didn't know what they were until DH gently pointed out that those were the colors in the fabric. This happened b/c I was wondering why some fabrics had more dots than others. :)