Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twin Needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twin-needle-t65125.html)

MadQuilter 09-18-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
So what about using a twin needle to stitch in the ditch on a lap quilt???

Well, by default that SID would need to be renamed to STD as in Straddle the Ditch. Not sure about the method but I don't like the acronym. lol

chamby 09-18-2010 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by chamby
So what about using a twin needle to stitch in the ditch on a lap quilt???

Well, by default that SID would need to be renamed to STD as in Straddle the Ditch. Not sure about the method but I don't like the acronym. lol

Has anyone tried this with the twin needle? I am thinking about it. I just do not want to have to rip it all out if it does not work. Plus it is a christmas gift for my nephew.

BARBISBOSS 09-18-2010 02:49 PM

I use my twin needle for pintucking and also using 2 different threads with different stitches that come with your machine, there is also a pintucking foot you can use. Just check the with of the foot before use fancy stitches. Ihave a janome 3500 and its max with is 7 but when using twin needles i use a 5 width.

wraez 09-18-2010 03:19 PM

That is curious.

I have a Kenmore that uses a double needle and bobbin goes in at the bottom sideways.

I have a Janome with a top drop down bobbin and the operator's manual says I can use a double needle.

I have used it many times in the old Kenmore, just recently thinking of using it on my Janome but haven't yet.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

tooMuchFabric 09-18-2010 03:20 PM

The twin needle, and even the triple needles, each take a separate top thread, but they share the same one and only bobbin thread on the back.
Just wanted to mention that.

MamaBear61 09-18-2010 03:53 PM

Twin needles make awesome decorative stitches to edge pillowcases, placemats etc. I took a class on it when I got my Pfaff 7550 several years ago and loved the look it can create.

Sewingyankee 09-18-2010 03:57 PM

A twin needle is used in heirloom sewing to make pintucks.

jitkaau 09-18-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I have a 'twin needle' in the stuff that came with my machine. Can someone tell me what it's for?

You can make two rows of stitching( which look like a coverstitch)
which are evenly apart for the entire length of the sewing. Embroidery can look more interesting if you put two different colours in the needles. Some twin needles have a wing needle on one side and make interesting hole or hem work.

Jane3 09-18-2010 04:53 PM

I also have a double needle with my Bernina machine. Bobbin loads in the front. Nancy's Notions has a great video on how to use the double needle. I have not tried it yet - but saved the info. You should be able to find it on her web site.

MommaDorian 09-18-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jane3
I also have a double needle with my Bernina machine. Bobbin loads in the front. Nancy's Notions has a great video on how to use the double needle. I have not tried it yet - but saved the info. You should be able to find it on her web site.

I'd love to see Nancy's Notions video. Could you tell me where I can find it?

Thanks