Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two Fat Quarters vs . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-fat-quarters-vs-t295564.html)

Jane Quilter 03-17-2018 07:24 PM

I like 2 fat qtr vs 2/4 yards, because they are different. I live variety and scrappy.

sprice 03-18-2018 05:15 AM

I don't like FQs. I'd much rather have the WOF. Just find it more versatile to use. I always look at the FQ and think--well, this isn't enough to do anything with!

klswift 03-18-2018 07:16 AM

Fat Quarters are very often more expensive than buying fabric (if you watch sales). Also, you get limited to sizes and shapes. I find I can usually get a lot more bang for my buck from WOF. Exception is when they are having huge sale (right now the 2 for $2 at Joanns), I will buy a few of the truly odd colors that I rarely use (oranges) or a strange print that I may use for a small focus piece for my wreaths. I used to pick up the occasional jelly roll or honey bun, but I have found they are often not cut precisely and they fray so very much. I bought the strip ruler and am very pleased with it. I will admit that the honey buns in black and in white were very handy.

mojo11 03-18-2018 11:05 AM

I buy fat quarters because I hand applique and need a variety of fabrics. They are usually more expensive than by the yard.

lzeider 03-18-2018 11:21 AM

I love FQ's. I am a Jo Morton, Kathy Tracy fan and use them often.

Sandra in Minnesota 03-18-2018 08:50 PM

I love FQ because it gives me a variety of fabrics when I do paper piecing. Beside, a friend gave me five plastic containers of them. She made doll clothes so used a lot of small print fabric.

SuziSew 03-19-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Teen (Post 8023615)
I'm curious....why don't you buy precuts or FQ?

As others stated it's usually a better price to buy from the bolt and I can get wof strips when needed. Even when I only want a small amount I'll often get the 1/2 yd rather than a FQ...more bang for my buck. I don't generally buy precuts because I'm a prewasher. Anything smaller than a FQ is a pain to prewash. Iv'e also found precuts there's not enough of the couple of fabrics that catch my eye, I'd rather buy yardage of what I like most.

Like anything else, it all depends on what your preferences are and what you are trying to accomplish. There's no right or wrong. :o

ckcowl 03-19-2018 12:34 PM

Since 2 fat quarters are simply a 1/2 yard cut at the fold they are equal. You just can’t cut 42” strips from a fat quarter, you get (2) 21” strips.

quiltingcandy 03-19-2018 04:00 PM

I have bought a package of fat quarters when I want to make something specific - i.e.: a Turning 20. Otherwise, I would rather buy 1/3 or 1/2 yard. I found that when I buy just a 1/4 yard sometimes the person cutting is not very good at cutting and one end is not the full 9 inches, the 1/3 yard is 12 inches and I can do more with that than 9 inches.

SuziSew 03-20-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8024884)
I have bought a package of fat quarters when I want to make something specific - i.e.: a Turning 20. Otherwise, I would rather buy 1/3 or 1/2 yard. I found that when I buy just a 1/4 yard sometimes the person cutting is not very good at cutting and one end is not the full 9 inches, the 1/3 yard is 12 inches and I can do more with that than 9 inches.

That's a good idea about buying 1/3...I'll have to keep that in mind :thumbup: