Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Used cutting blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/used-cutting-blades-t190208.html)

MiaA 05-28-2012 09:38 AM

I keep the plastic containers that the blades come in, I fill it up with used blades and when full, carefully tape it closed and toss it in the trash.

Sunnye 05-28-2012 10:36 AM

I use the blade sharpener and it works great. Really helps extend the life of the blade! One side is for sharpening and one side is for knicks!

Jim's Gem 05-28-2012 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MiaA (Post 5249056)
I keep the plastic containers that the blades come in, I fill it up with used blades and when full, carefully tape it closed and toss it in the trash.

This is what I do. In the mean time, if I need to cut some paper or vinyl flooring or something else, I use one of my old blades to do that kind of work.

beatys9 05-28-2012 11:48 AM

I also use the duct tape method - never occurred to me to try to recycle or sharpen them...

patchsamkim 05-28-2012 11:50 AM

I put mine back in the plastic "case" they come in and wrap duct tape or other tape around that and then put in with garbage. I am always afraid though that somehow it might not be safe enough.

quilter1 05-28-2012 11:54 AM

I am a nurse, so I take them to work and toss them in the sharps disposal container. Maybe a pharmacy would let you put the blades in their container.

joyce888 05-28-2012 12:12 PM

I put mine in a small sour cream container with a slit cut in the top to drop rotary blades , bent straight pins, and dull needles. When full I put the container in the recycle bin with tape across slit and warning written on lid of contents. I have used the rotary blade sharper with success.

ckcowl 05-28-2012 12:17 PM

i used to replace my old blades in the plastic container they came in- tape it all over with duct tape-and put them in the trash- then i found out that our hardware store would take them ( as part of their recycling program- along with batteries and a few other things that are hard to get rid of.) so now i place them in a tin-with a lid and when i am heading to the hardware for something i take them along- i don't know what they do with them- and don't care-even if they sharpen them & sell them- it's ok with me- i don't have to worry about disposal- or anyone getting hurt.
as for the sharpeners- i've had one for a number of years- to me it was more dangerous than changing them tends to be- i hate it- for me it is worth it to buy new ones- and one of those items i always add to my Christmas list- hubby usually buys me a couple of each size for stocking stuffers. :)

aunt eunice 05-28-2012 12:20 PM

LPSHARP.COM accepts used blades and offers sharp like blades for a reduced price. I have a stack of blades ready to go out in the mail to them. They also offer blades for purchase without sending in old blades.

Maggiedeux 05-28-2012 12:32 PM

Thanks, I'm going to try LPSharp. Those blades cost a fortune and other than on sale, the manufacturers have their way about the price they charge.