Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/useless-quiling-gadgets-other-boondoggles-t218202.html)

auntpiggylpn 04-08-2013 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by judylg (Post 5985950)
While at a quilt show a few years ago, there was a booth set up. The fellow was showing how to make the seams, as in a windmill block where all of the seams meet up at the centre, resulting lots of bulk, less bulky. He was selling a hammer, that he used to whack the centre of the block. I could not see spending money on one, when I went home I did some looking through the hammers around here, found one. Now, when I have a bulky seam, I give a whack to the centre bulk, iron it and it is flatter. The tool with a case was over 20.00 at the time, not sure if they are still out there, have not been to a quilt show lately. I should mention I do this on my carpet floor in the basement, if I have a good number to do, I go get my cutting board, but always do it on the floor. It does help with bulk.

I was watching Fons & Porter years ago (back when it was good- with Liz Porter:)) and I actually saw Liz Porter do this with a hammer!!! Been my remedy ever since!

paprpcr 04-08-2013 05:25 AM

We bought molding strips in the flooring section at Home Depot. They are flat on bottom but angle up to the top which is rounded. We found them in maple and red oak...long strips like about 90"' I believe the oak was a little cheaper than the maple. Wanted to find half round molding trim strips as I believe the "store bought" ones were made of but couldn't find them anywhere. Anyway the ones I am making look and work great. Good luck if you try to make this very useful gadget!

nstitches4u 04-08-2013 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by DEPP (Post 5985380)
I bought the True Sharp electric rotary blade sharpener. If that is the one you purchased, let me know. I have not been successful in sharpening them. Sometimes I get a blade sharp but it has a place or two that do not cut.

If you have a nick in the blade, it will not fix that. You will still have places that will not cut.

nstitches4u 04-08-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 5985648)
I don't use my binding tool either. Last week I bought a green Dritz needle threader where you drop the needle in the hole, push a button and the needle comes out threaded but mine will not thread a needle. I should have bought a Clover, but our Hancocks doesn't carry it. The Fons and Porter easy thread needle eyes didn't work too well for my hand quilting as the head was too large to pull through the fabric without plyers and left a hole. And I've bought many of the same useless gadgets many of you have. I would love to find a rotary blade
sharpener that really worked. I've enjoyed reading everyone of your comments as they are very helpful. Thanks to the OP for starting the thread.

You have to have the eye of the needle turned the right way. If you don't, the threader can't find the eye.

TexasGurl 04-08-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 5978373)
I'm taking a class at a local quilt shop. Bought the pattern which was $24 and our instructor spent the first day telling us about all the mistakes that were in the pattern. I'm glad I'm taking the class, otherwise I would never have know about the mistakes and probably never finished the project. Since she has worked out all the kinks, it should go together pretty well. I won't mention the pattern designer but she has been contacted (2 weeks ago) and never responded.

I've taught a lot of quilting classes, I'm surprised your instructor would go forward with a class and pattern that had so many mistakes ... not to mention costing $24 ! That just doesn't make for a good experience for students. Sounds like she worked to fix all the booboos and save the class ... Kudos to her !
But the designer ? Shame on HER for not responding ... and likely NOT the first time she's ever heard of her pattern mistakes either !

sguillot 04-08-2013 09:25 AM

Ditto: I thought I just had to have it and it is still in a box in the corner of my sewing room. I am a little more cautious now.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5976909)
I also got the Simplicity Strip cutter as a gift used it once and sold it to a friend only after letting her try it and telling herwhat a worthless expensive gadgetit is. She insisted she could make it work. It sits on her shelf now!

I also got the June Tailor Pintastic Pin Dispenser as a gift. Didn't even take it out of the box; promptly returned it to Hancock Fabrics with friends blessing. http://www.amazon.com/June-Tailor-Pi.../dp/B004W8WFNG

Kaye 04-11-2013 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 5978562)
That is what I once used; but I got fancy and now use a much thicker roll and a silk satin ribbon. A wonderful, inexpensive way to keep binding straight! I learned this from someone here.

I am so glad to read this. A guild member made some cute ones and gave them out at retreat. I had no idea that I am suppose to hang it around my neck! Neat!

Kaye 04-11-2013 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by paprpcr (Post 5982791)
I have to say that I bought one of the fabric covered pressing sticks and if you are talking about what I bought it is one of the best purchases I've ever made. As a matter of fact on Pinterest you can see how to make them for yourself. I am in the process of making about 30 of them to give as gifts at a quilting retreat I am part of. I can hardly wait to give them away because I know the participants will be so thrilled to have them after they see how they are used and how beautifully a seam can be pressed open or to one side!

I would love more info on this, please. Thanks!

jeanharville 04-11-2013 08:15 AM

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me with the green dritz needle threader. I tried it again after reading your replies, but I just can't get it to work. I can thread several needles in the time it takes me to fiddle with it. The thread does come out through the hole, but the eye is not threaded. I'm sure the needle needs to be turned exactly right, but there in no way to tell which way to turn it. The instructions just say to drop the needle in the hole eye facing down. anyway just one more gadget I can't get to work.

judylg 04-11-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 5993563)
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me with the green dritz needle threader. I tried it again after reading your replies, but I just can't get it to work. I can thread several needles in the time it takes me to fiddle with it. The thread does come out through the hole, but the eye is not threaded. I'm sure the needle needs to be turned exactly right, but there in no way to tell which way to turn it. The instructions just say to drop the needle in the hole eye facing down. anyway just one more gadget I can't get to work.

I can so understand...one more gadget I can't get to work. So true. I have learned along the way and generally do not have to buy gadgets, have a few that I ask myself...why? It always looks so easy, though.