Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/useless-quiling-gadgets-other-boondoggles-t218202.html)

Julie in NM 04-04-2013 03:32 PM

fancy metal thimble...I use the plastic one from JAs

Jan in VA 04-04-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Freckles48 (Post 5976889)
A large spool thingie that hung around my neck with binding on it. I am back to putting the binding in a plastic baggie and letting it reel out of that from off the floor.

That is so funny! I actually use a toilet paper roll with a length of selvage 'string' thru it as a necklace to roll my binding onto, and love how it keeps it straight and neat.:thumbup:

Jan in VA

Jan in VA 04-04-2013 03:59 PM

Over 20 years ago I bought paper piecing papers from Little Foot for a Lone Star...they are different from most other PP techniques. And I've never used them; don't even remember how to now!

Jan in VA

MarLeClair 04-04-2013 04:11 PM

I'm taking a class at a local quilt shop. Bought the pattern which was $24 and our instructor spent the first day telling us about all the mistakes that were in the pattern. I'm glad I'm taking the class, otherwise I would never have know about the mistakes and probably never finished the project. Since she has worked out all the kinks, it should go together pretty well. I won't mention the pattern designer but she has been contacted (2 weeks ago) and never responded.

Gramie bj 04-04-2013 04:11 PM

From Joann's a small (45) blue hand held rotary blade sharpener, thread stand, looked metal in sealed package, but made from cheep plastic. From a paper piecing class, special paper, $25, discovered a child's drawing tablet is made from the same type of paper, $1 at the dollar store. LOL I'm sure there are more but these really stand out in my mind.

QuiltnLady1 04-04-2013 04:43 PM

Let's see -- a 3 day quilting class from a well known quilter (who shall remain nameless). We had to buy a book ($29.95) and bring some fabric for the quilt. She checked everyone's fabric, telling them to replace one or more selection -- when she got to me she did not like anything I selected (it matched a bedroom I have) and insisted I use her choices instead (I shuttered sewing the colors together). I finished 2 blocks and tossed them when the class was over.

Suze9395 04-04-2013 05:40 PM

That little mini iron thing. It doesn't get hot enough to do anything.

franc36 04-04-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5978356)
That is so funny! I actually use a toilet paper roll with a length of selvage 'string' thru it as a necklace to roll my binding onto, and love how it keeps it straight and neat.:thumbup:

Jan in VA

That is what I once used; but I got fancy and now use a much thicker roll and a silk satin ribbon. A wonderful, inexpensive way to keep binding straight! I learned this from someone here.

loves_2_quilt 04-04-2013 06:06 PM

I got a sidewinder as a gift and have never used it. I got a mini iron, a toy iron heats that hot, again as a gift. I got an extra light for my machine, it won't stay put, again a gift. I do wish my husband would stop getting me these useless things. I know it is the thought that counts and really do appreciate them even though I will not be using them.

hopetoquilt 04-04-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5977958)
I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class. I used it for the very first piece of fabric and then decided that the 1/4" marking on my workhorse 5 x 24 inch ruler worked much better. Same class, same supplies list, I bought the "purple thang". If I'd known that my bamboo shishkabob skewers do exactly the same thing I would have saved that money too.

I actually use the add a quarter ruler constantly when paper piecing. There are two sizes and the smaller one was a waste of $$. Carol soak shows a very easy way to use it. My pping was a mess until I used it.

Polyester thread was a waste because it doesn't work for me. The bobbin genies don't seem to do much in my machine and the super slider and all cheap imitations were a waste. The original sewing table ( i think it was called the gidget) was a waste but I replaced it with a sew ezi table which is awesome.

I got rid of my curved templates and rulers because I have the accuquilt go now.