Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/useless-quiling-gadgets-other-boondoggles-t218202.html)

Geri B 04-05-2013 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5977175)
I have the Accuquilt Go. I won't be without a die cut machine now. I use it to cut 99% of all my quilt patterns. I don't think you will get the value of the machine without having a good selection of dies to use. Dies and mats do cost money so if that is a concern don't buy one.

My thoughts exactly!!! So far, besides that, all of the misc. gadgets I have bought over the yrs have not been a waste...some may be specific to a certain design/pattern, but, they make that easier. Actually just bought a Curve ruler...hope that one works!

craftiladi 04-05-2013 04:20 AM

I too like many of you used to be a impulse buyer, I have really been trying to get stern w/ myself and if I still feel I want it after walking away then I make sure it has a place in my sewing, not stuck in a drawer or closet never to be used again.
1] add a 1/4 thingy
2] pinking shears-I bought them yrs ago because my mom always had a pair-never use mine
3] pattern weights-might be a neat idea, never remember I have them...in a drawer-lol

quiltmom04 04-05-2013 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5977958)
I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class. I used it for the very first piece of fabric and then decided that the 1/4" marking on my workhorse 5 x 24 inch ruler worked much better. Same class, same supplies list, I bought the "purple thang". If I'd known that my bamboo shishkabob skewers do exactly the same thing I would have saved that money too.

Just goes to show we don't all think the same! I wouldn't be without the "Add-a-quarter" ruler for paper piecing. If your teacher was having you mark a line with it, that was not the way to use the ruler. You butt it up against a card to cut the quarter inch seam allowance. If I didn't have the ruler, and the little ledge that's built in to it, my rotary cutter would always slip - sometimes I even forgot to add the quarter inch! But, hey, to each his own!

qwkslver 04-05-2013 04:31 AM

I have a stack of rulers I bought to go with my Sweet 16 which are useless. (I like the simple meandering pattern). I also have the chalk marker to mark patterns with and a stack of stencils. I guess I should ebay all that stuff.

lovelyl 04-05-2013 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5977958)
I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class. I used it for the very first piece of fabric and then decided that the 1/4" marking on my workhorse 5 x 24 inch ruler worked much better. Same class, same supplies list, I bought the "purple thang". If I'd known that my bamboo shishkabob skewers do exactly the same thing I would have saved that money too.

I love my add a quarter rulers! Isn't it funny how different we all are?

tessagin 04-05-2013 04:51 AM

If I can make do with something else until I find something not so pricey I will. Depending on what it is and if I still have the receipt so I can return or replace, it gets pitched in file 13.

maviskw 04-05-2013 04:58 AM

I bought a Kaleidoscope Triangle Ruler a few months ago, But the directions for how to use it really don't help much. I need a pattern for a block to practice on.

SewOK 04-05-2013 05:01 AM

I bought the Genie Bobbin Washers also and they work in my embroidery machine and my other machines with a drop in bobbin but not in my Expression 4.0 due to the fact that it has a low bobbin sensor that will not work if I have a bobbin washer in the bobbin case because it raises the bobbin just a very fraction of an inch and confuses the sensor.

ccthomas 04-05-2013 05:27 AM

I bought "label/signature writing pens" packaged/sealed. I had a feeling as I paid that I bet they wouldn't write. When I got ready to "use | write" with either pen, they wouldn't write. I had lost the receipt.

Gabrielle's Mimi 04-05-2013 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 5978373)
I'm taking a class at a local quilt shop. Bought the pattern which was $24 and our instructor spent the first day telling us about all the mistakes that were in the pattern. I'm glad I'm taking the class, otherwise I would never have know about the mistakes and probably never finished the project. Since she has worked out all the kinks, it should go together pretty well. I won't mention the pattern designer but she has been contacted (2 weeks ago) and never responded.

I think it would be kind of you to let us know the pattern name so we don't have to struggle with mistakes. I always advise my new quilting students to go to the website of each book or pattern before they begin cutting to check for pattern corrections. Twice I have started patterns that had errors, so now I know to check first.