Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/22 to 5/25 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend-5-22-5-25-a-t265478.html)

quiltingshorttimer 05-24-2015 06:17 PM

Just saw the picture--for those of you that don't recognize myGuild Challenge project--it's a recovered patio chair--one of those iron, round ones from the 1960's!

sewbizgirl 05-24-2015 08:42 PM

I love that adorable chair! Where did you get one to recover?

SherriB 05-25-2015 04:17 AM

This is my first VQW. Don't know why I waited so long. LOL!! I love all the pictures of quilts and other projects!! They are all so beautiful!! I decided to make Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Trip Around the World. I am using my 1930's reproduction fabrics. I have about 280 strips cut so far and will do about 40 more. My grandkids stay with me and Papaw when I am off, so it has been slow going this weekend.

kristakz 05-25-2015 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by oreo1912 (Post 7205676)
Kristakz

what pattern is this? I have been looking for something to use with round fancy cuts and this would work well.

it's just a simple 9-patch and snowball alternating layout. I cut squares to make the snowball corners the same size as the 9-patch squares. In my case, that was 1.5" (told you it was a small quilt :) )

donac 05-25-2015 06:17 AM

I finished the binding on my mom's quilt and gave it to her yesterday. She loved it. I am so glad that that one is done but sad that I don't have anything to hand quilt. Will try to get pictures up later.

judy363905 05-25-2015 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7205706)
Nice tote bag, Judy. I need to make one or two... What's your stiffener? Have you seen the foam bag stiffener that MSQC uses on their recent tote bag videos? It looks so cool and easy to use. Probably costs a bundle, tho.

I just checked my receipt (I purchased 10 yards) from JoAnns. It is Pellon 926 Extra-Firm Stabilizer (not fusible) regular price 4.29 per yard I picked it up for 2.14. Great deal. It is 20 inches wide --same as bag units -- :) I will also use it in the lining.
I quilted the plaid fabric with Hobbs 80/20 first.

Just finished yard work and hubby is taking me for breakfast. All showered and ready to I go. Then back to sewing room

Happy quilting all

Judy in Phx, AZ

Rebecca_S 05-25-2015 08:42 AM

I love the patio chair! At first with the perspective I thought you had a project in a hoop, but the chair is completely transformed with the new cover.

sewbizgirl 05-25-2015 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what I hoped to get done this weekend... the "College Quilt"... a dissapearing hourglass done in college colors for a friend's son. It was pretty boring working with these solid Kona Cottons, but now that the top is together I like it. Think the kid will love it. It's a twin 'XL for his dorm bed, but I'm thinking it may need some borders around it. Maybe 2" or 4" in gray with a black binding.

Friday1961 05-25-2015 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7203572)
I have been asked to make a graduation quilt for a young high school valedictorian, in the colors of the college he is going to. It's for his dorm room. I'm not wild about the school colors, but in the disappearing hour glass pattern they look great! Here are some of my first ones. The little one was a 'tester'... will work it into the back. There will also be black in this quilt.

Gorgeous blocks! I like the colors, but what I really like is how perfect they are. You do beautiful work!

sewbizgirl 05-25-2015 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7206593)
Gorgeous blocks! I like the colors, but what I really like is how perfect they are. You do beautiful work!

Thank you. The trick is that the DHG blocks look like you expertly piece tiny triangles and points, when you don't! It's really easy to do. Check out Jenny Doan's Dissappearing Hour Glass tute on MSQC.