Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Weekend - August 30-Sept 3, 2018 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend-august-30-sept-3-2018-a-t299215.html)

Raggiemom 08-31-2018 05:16 AM

Looks like we have lots of projects to finish this weekend! Yesterday was a good work day for me even if it wasn't all quilt related. The morning was spent doing some computer stuff and catching up on things I had let slide. I had to review some things for church which took a while. Then the afternoon I moved to the cutting room. That room is now all organized and cleaned up. I found some things I didn't know I had, including 3 curvy log cabin rulers! I cut out for a couple quilt projects. This morning I'm moving into the sewing room and work :) . Will check back in later to see what everyone is working on.

donac 08-31-2018 06:03 AM

I am in after I finish paperwork for one of my classes that start on Tuesday. Things got switched around so I have to rework my syllabus. Sunday I will make notes for Tuesday's classes and then I am free the rest of the weekend.

It finally is cool here in Jersey. I have a wall hanging I want to make for fall/Halloween. I found out last week that I am hosting a baby shower for my daughter in law in October (it is our first grandchild) so I want a wall hanging for the family room. I also have to work on the baby blanket I am making. It has been too hot to pick up yarn so with this cooler weather I hope to get something done on that.

Off to do computer wotk

tucsonquilter 08-31-2018 06:17 AM

Well I have a lap quilt to bind, a backing to create, and a quilt to cut out.....I wonder what will be completed this Virtual Quilting weekend? lol

midwife 08-31-2018 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The squares are attached into rows. Now I need to press all the seams open and sew the rows together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]600273[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 08-31-2018 06:39 AM

Looks great, midwife. You are knocking that top out nicely!

I'm spending the morning with my seam-ripper. :( As my DH says "***t happens!" Hopefully I'll be sewing again this afternoon. I told my little daughters that today is a sew day, ie they play while I work. They seem very happy about it. They are both playing with scrap fabric on vintage sewing machines that still need restoring. This VQW is being taken very seriously! :)

happylab 08-31-2018 06:56 AM

Good morning everyone! Looks like we have a large group and many projects. Looking forward to seeing finished projects.

I'm in again this weekend. My #1 project is to put binding on a Halloween quilt (UFO). Hopefully it will be finished today and it will count as an August UFO. #2 finish a few sets for winter block swap. #3 Finish pining and sewing my temperature top, (before it becomes a UFO). #4 Finish pinning/sewing a cat throw. #5 cut out a new quilt project for a Christmas present for my Hubby. #6 start getting projects packed for a retreat in a few weeks. On Saturday I will spend 1/2 day cleaning my house. Then back to sewing and messing it up. I'll try to post pics of my finished projects. Happy sewing everyone.

QuiltingVagabond 08-31-2018 07:04 AM

I am making decent progress so far. All my labels are complete and attached, and the last sleeve is pinned and waiting for some quiet time tonight. There are 7 more blocks to quilt on my sampler BOM and then the setting triangles as I set the blocks on point.
Glad to see so many joining this month.

thimblebug6000 08-31-2018 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have the pieces fused down for the Welcome Home Shauna Case wall hanging now... not meaning to hurry winter in, but wanted to make something cute. [ATTACH=CONFIG]600274[/ATTACH]

OleaBlossom 08-31-2018 09:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
midwife, that's great progress with putting together those rows!

And so many first-time grandbaby quilts, something must be in the air :)

I had to fight with the tension for a little while (unpicked a whole row, d'oh) after refilling the bobbin, but I just finished my second ever quilt top!

I had less than a quarter yard left of a fabric I love, based on Monet's brush strokes, so I made 4" Sawtooth Stars and put them in the sashing between 6" blocks, at random-ish intervals. Oh! And I made setting triangles. Probably wrong, I think the bias is on the outside edge, but it's done, and done is better than perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600280[/ATTACH]

Close-up:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]600281[/ATTACH]

I have a backing in mind (either a marbled look or a solid, but definitely navy), but I have no idea how to quilt it. Maybe hand quilting around the stars, to make them seem bigger/draw attention?

It's around 55 x 80 - as you can see, it fits perfectly over our bed :)

sewbizgirl 08-31-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by OleaBlossom (Post 8119161)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600280[/ATTACH]
I have a backing in mind (either a marbled look or a solid, but definitely navy), but I have no idea how to quilt it. Maybe hand quilting around the stars, to make them seem bigger/draw attention?

I might try echo quilting around the stars, in a radiating pattern until the quilting bumps into the echo quilting of the next star.... Very pretty.