Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend-may-25-28-2018-a-t297145.html)

Jane Quilter 05-27-2018 02:24 PM

I fertilized and hoed the garden before the Alberto rain. Now, still making string blocks for the string quilt. My pile of strips is not going down. I think they are multiplying every time I take a break. I am planning to leave the light on when I leave to discourage such activity. LOL

sewbizgirl 05-27-2018 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 8065669)
It was a white border, so we used a water-soluble blue pen (I think the one made by Clover). My experience is that they stay put until you spritz them with water, then they go away completely.

For dark fabric I almost always use a sliver of soap-- it stays on longer than chalk markers and is just as visible. I've also tried the sew line white pencil- it seems to stay put fairly well, too.

Have you tried doing any ruler work? I find that If I use a combination of ruler work to divide the quilt, and FMQ in between divisions, I can get away with minimal marking on most pieced quilts. Whole cloth or modern quilts with lots of negative space require more marking.

Rob

Thanks, Rob! I'll try that blue pen. It's nice to know there is something that goes away and stays gone when you no longer want it. Soap sounds good on the darks. At least you know that will wash out!

I have only tried rulers a bit. I bought some with my machine, but I think I might need to take a class on how to use them. What's the trick to holding them steady and also maneuvering your quilt at the same time? :shock:

NZquilter 05-27-2018 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have all been busy!

Sewbiz, I'm sure you are enjoying your new long arm! You are knocking out the quilts pretty fast so you must be getting a feel for it.

I finished binding my On Ringo Lake. Now its officially done! I finished quilting it last VQW, so I figured I should bind it this month! I also made a couple more Sister's Choice blocks too. Tomorrow is pack to packing and such, but I think I had a good fling for the weekend. Thanks for leading again, Heather! I'll be checking in again.

thimblebug6000 05-27-2018 04:41 PM

Enjoying the pictures as I sit to relax between house jobs.... Boston1954 I really love your quilt top, so rich looking. Had to grocery shop this morning and then prepared as much as I could for tomorrow's brunch guests... exhausted now.... but then dead headed the backyard rhodo and it sure looks tidier out there. I have been tidying up my sewing room, so I guess that counts, right? I don't wish for a bigger area, because I know it would be so easy to just keep filling it up :D It is not an extended weekend here in BC but when you are retired..... every day is a "holiday" kinda.... Will look forward to your updates tomorrow. Thanks everyone for posting your pictures.

retiredteacher09 05-27-2018 05:12 PM

NZquilter: Congratulations on your wonderful finish!

I really enjoy reading the comments and looking at the pictures. I didn't get as much finished as I would have liked to yesterday and today but I did enjoy the visit with my niece last night. We got to bed too late and then I got up a little after 5 to hug her goodbye. Even though I went back to sleep, I have been dragging most of the day. Temp was around 93 today so I think that is also zapping my strength even with the air on. I only went outside for an hour or so and that was to pick up my friend from the airport and drop her off at her house. I really want spring, not summer. Give me some 70s and I am happy. LOL.

I did make some progress on my baby quilt top and a charity quilt. I hope to finish them tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot-my niece wanted to see what i was working on for sewing projects and she asked me to teach her to sew. Now this niece is in her middle 20's and grew up around grandma and her sewing so she knows how to sew and has always liked to sew bigger squares. She also found out she likes to applique. So I am thinking she wants me to show her how to do HST's, QST's, etc. She also said she likes being in my sewing area. My heart just melted. Blessed beyond measure.

petthefabric 05-27-2018 07:02 PM

With only my left hand available (rt in cast), I put some folded fabrics on the shelves from the LA. Mybe it'll be finished tomorrow. Then DH will help load the machine.

cashs_mom 05-27-2018 07:09 PM

Today, I got all the background of the Dogs in Sweaters FMQ'd on the new Juki 2200 QVP. Wow! The extra throat space makes it a lot easier. I had some problems (mostly operator error) but, in general, I really like this machine. I need to get some brown and red thread to FMQ the dogs (change of plans on the quilting).

I also started cutting some strips to use in my string quilt. I might work on the string quilt tomorrow and wait on doing any more on the Dogs in Sweaters since I need more thread

SillySusan 05-27-2018 07:19 PM

Today was not a great sewing day even though I had big plans. This morning started out when I tried to hang my Amer. flag and found out that the bushes had grown so tall, that they interfered with the flag. So, I spent most of the morning trimming (chopping is more like it) down the bushes. Then one thing or another kept me running around. ... I did manage to get 2 more of the bindings on baby quilts done. That leaves me 6 to finish and reach my goal of 10 for the weekend. I think I'll have to save some for the next time.

Irishrose2 05-27-2018 08:51 PM

When I wasn't planting flowers, pulling weeds or exercising the dog, I worked on two braided rows for my horse quilt. The trouble with working without is pattern is guessing how many strips to cut. I'll know when I press and trim them how close I came.

sewbizgirl 05-27-2018 09:07 PM

I love your Ringo Lake, NZquilter.... Beautiful finish!

Connie, you need to get that niece back for some sewing time with you! The fabric was calling to her.