Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-t65103.html)

Threadedneedle 09-16-2010 07:10 PM

My local Wal-Mart has increased the size of it's fabric department recently. The associate said they had a lot of requests from the customers for it.

All Thumbs 09-16-2010 07:25 PM

Our WalMart removed all fabrics, remodeled and then brought a small section back. However, I would not waste my time quilting any fabric on their shelf. It is extremely thin, roller printed and one has to purchase 5 yards for $5. There is no cutting. At that price one absolutely knows the shanks on the fabrics threads will have no durability. Perhaps our store received bad fabric stock since in our medium sized town, we have Hancocks, plus a local quilter's shop. I only hope those of you who have no other options within miles, that WalMart will cater to your needs.

tooMuchFabric 09-16-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Threadedneedle
My local Wal-Mart has increased the size of it's fabric department recently. The associate said they had a lot of requests from the customers for it.

I'm betting they got the surplus from closing of other stores.
Pretty soon they'll put it all on sale and then it will be gone.

leahbug 09-17-2010 08:31 AM

That is good news!

lynnie 09-17-2010 09:17 AM

YOOO HOOO that would be terrrific!!!!

stpatmom 09-17-2010 09:46 AM

Well, I'm a glass half full kinda gal, so I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they DO keep their fabric departments. I still have two Walmarts that I go to for fabric.

So, Thanks for the happy news!

Grandmama Pat 09-17-2010 11:05 AM

Well, hopefully they got the message with the large number of signatures on the petition, if they received it. Maybe that's the reason for their recent decision, if it's true. I sure hope so.

SherriB 09-17-2010 11:48 AM

Well, just got back from the Walmart here that still has a fabric dept. No markdowns, just prices going up.

Mariah 09-17-2010 12:18 PM

I worked at Wal-M. for almost 15 yrs. My experience with them as a company is that they put out taking this or that out of the stores, then reverse their decision.
I believe that as long as sales are good in a store, they will keep the dept. They might reduce the size, but basics of quilting/sewing will be there, from my experience.
They threatened to take our fabric dept. out here. We are a rural community of about 25,000. We signed petitions to not remove it. There were thousands of names on the petitions, and we will have the dept.
I have gone more and more to online fabric shopping. The quilt fabric stores around here are closing rapidly. I believe it is due to the online sales. Lots of good results with them, for me, anyway.
Mariah.

raedar63 09-17-2010 06:55 PM

Ours is gone except a few expensive precuts,and the next closest one says when they remodel theirs is going too. I live in the country so the closest joAnns is about an hr away. Fabric shack is also bout an hour away ,they are very nice for the most part but 9.99 plus per yard.They do have awesome scrap tables though and I sure stock up when I get there. Thank goodness I am a thrifty scrappy quilter,I do occasionally get deals online though many sites have good clearance for 2.99 a yard and free shipping over certian amounts.