Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warning! Pins and needles in your mouth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-pins-needles-your-mouth-t54438.html)

dsb38327 07-14-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
I brought this up on another thread and thought I would post it again. This topic may have been discussed before...if so, I missed it.

About 15 years ago I was making a costume for my DD, my pincushion wasn't handy and as I removed the straight pins while I was sewing a seam I put the pins between my lip. I know we have all done this! Well -- I sneezed -- the pins went into my mouth and throat and I totally freaked out! I couldn't breath very well and I was home alone. Thankfully I got them out by myself with my fingers and tweezers. It really hurt and scared the you-know-what out of me. I have never put pins or needles in my mouth since. Please don't it -- I think I was lucky they didn't go further down my throat.

If that had not been such a frightening experience it would have been an excellent funniest home video. You must have been frightened! I would have been.
When I was a child I swallowed an open saftey pin (small one). The xray showed it in my body. I remember getting lots of attention for awhile.
I am glad you are okay. /Regards, Dorothy

miss_ticky2 07-14-2010 05:43 PM

I did the exact same thing many years ago...was pinning up a hem for someone and had a pin in my mouth. Must have breathed the wrong way or something and one went straight to the back of my mouth. I couldn't talk and was too scared to move. The lady I was pinning for had no idea what had happened as I wasn't game to try to tell her. Luckily I was able to reach it with my fingers and remove it. Never put a pin in my mouth since that day

SHayes 07-14-2010 05:57 PM

I have never thought about this scenario. I am guilty of holding pins with my mouth too. From now on I am going to try to break myself from doing this! Thanks for the warning!

laurac 07-15-2010 04:42 PM

the pin habit is bad and also if you are biting threads to cut them, stop it. my dentist identified me as a seamstress years ago by the grooving i caused to my front teeth.

Edie 07-16-2010 02:34 AM

Try this: Pin in right hand, pin into blouse/top and bra - left boob. Opposite if you are left handed. Very easy to reach, very convenient - just hope to heaven you don't deflate. I have been known to go to the store with pins in my boob! It works! Edie

Boston1954 07-16-2010 04:00 AM

My goodness! This has never happened to me. I think I would have panicked if I had pins in my throat. I have done it rarely, but now, I think I will stop all together.

CarrieAnne 07-16-2010 04:13 AM

Oh my gosh, that must have been so scarry! I remember in 7th grade one of the boys in Home Ec swallowed a pin...at least he SAID he did, we wondered if he just wanted to go home, lol!
After that I was always too scarred to stick any in my mouth!

Shirlx 07-16-2010 05:59 AM

Thank goodness you got them out--I am bad about this.

Shirlx 07-16-2010 06:05 AM

Walmart has 5 yards of fabric for $5.00. They are on 5 yard bolts and you have to look through them.

Linda1 07-16-2010 06:20 AM

I do it all the time but after reading this I will never do it again.