Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing after completion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-after-completion-t148086.html)

jljack 08-26-2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by LittleMo
I have almost finished quilting a white backgroud quilt which has become grubby during the course of quilting. (Mostly because of my cat :hunf: )

I am taking this quilt on holidays with me next Friday to give to my bro. I would really like to wash this quilt before I hand it over. No problems there BUT this weekend its raining, for the first time in 8 months!

My plan is to take it to the laundromat, for the bigger washing machine.

My question: would it be safe to put it in a commercial drier?

The fabric and cotton batting have not been prewashed. I do like the antiquey look that washing gives, but will I ruin the quilt by putting it in the dryer? Its a huge king quilt, and I dont want to end up with a single quilt.

No worries if its all the same fabric...cotton, as you said, should be just fine. I like the antiquey look as well, and always wash my quilts before presenting.

Go ahead...really, it will be fine!! :-)

luana 08-26-2011 05:49 PM

I really appreciate all the advice given here. I have the same question. Thanks!!!!

LivelyLady 08-26-2011 06:20 PM

I always wash and dry. Rag quilts I always take to the laundromat to wash and use the hot setting on the dryer so it frays up nicely and takes out the lint.

NJ Quilter 08-26-2011 06:39 PM

I always wash and dry my quilts completely before gifting. They go in the dryer on a perm press cycle (in my home dryer) as it has a humidstat control and stops drying when the fabric is dry regardless of type of fabric (clothes, bedding, quilts). If it can't stand up to that abuse I don't think I would gift it. I never prewash my batting but generally prewash all my fabric but still haven't noticed any issues.

Peckish 08-26-2011 07:01 PM

If you do end up going to a laundromat, do not leave it unattended. It will grow legs and disappear!

Annaleehunter 08-26-2011 07:07 PM

I like to make rag quilts... always wash and dry at the laundromat! I can't afford to lose my dryer due to all the lint!

Stitchnripper 08-26-2011 07:11 PM

I always wash the quilts I give away. Regular cycle, regular detergent, and dry on low. So far I've not had a problem. Good luck with it, and, can we see a picture?

LittleMo 08-26-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I always wash the quilts I give away. Regular cycle, regular detergent, and dry on low. So far I've not had a problem. Good luck with it, and, can we see a picture?

Yes, after I wash it, I will put up a pic. If you want a sneak peek, its the quilt my cat Chopper was sitting on, in the thread "Who me?" in pictures.

Jingle 08-26-2011 07:24 PM

I always wash & dry all of my quilts after I take the last stitch in the binding. Lay it on my glass topped dining table over night to finish drying.

Edie 08-27-2011 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I'd be afraid the commercial dryers would get too hot. Any way you could set up a system to air dry it inside?

I have taken all my quilts to the laundromat, washed them in the big washer with a stain catcher (almost more important than soap, I think) and then I put it in the dryer. The dryers are generally one temp. I just dry it in increments. I put in a quarter at a time, equal to 8 minutes. It usually takes three quarters - 24 minutes - until I get the quilt almost dry and then I take it home and hang it out on the line. I do this on a breezy day and the quilt poofs up so nice. I have never had a problem.

Try one and see how it works (possibly an older quilt). It should be just fine. Edie