Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing a quilt after it is first finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilt-after-first-finished-t42054.html)

Scissor Queen 04-08-2010 07:19 AM

The first thing I do when I put the last stich in the binding is go throw it in the washer. I wash on warm with regular detergent. If I remember I throw in a color catcher. I dry my quilts in the dryer and pull them out and turn them once in a while so they get evenly dry.

I want quilts that I give to people to be fresh and clean. It can be ages between the time I start a quilt and when I put that last stitch in the binding.

Marjpf 04-08-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I figure my quilts are going to be machine washed and dried by whomever I give them to, so that is what I do. I want to do it first to make sure there are no problems...

Ditter

I do the same - I also figure most people would wash them on warm and in a warm or hot dryer, so that's what I use. If any little bit is going to come loose, I'd rather know about it before I give it away. Also since I have pets, I like to make sure the worst of the fur is off of them before I give them away.

MadQuilter 04-08-2010 07:58 AM

I generally don't wash a quilt that is to be a gift. Since I prewash the fabric and keep the cats off the fabric, I toss the finished quilt in the dryer with a dryer sheet and a damp bath towel.

When I do need to wash a quilt (or if it's my own) then I toss it in the washer and dryer.

Rose Marie 04-08-2010 08:02 AM

I wash finished quilts to get out any marking I did for quilting. Also cat hair, no avoiding it.

littlehud 04-08-2010 05:40 PM

I wash mine in the washer and dry in the dryer. I know my kids and family and that's what they are going to do too.

tmg 04-09-2010 03:09 AM

I wash all my fabric after i buy them. I wash my quilts in the washing machine and put them in the dryer. I do that so I can wash all my marking out. and to get animal fur out.

pam1966 04-09-2010 04:52 AM

I wash mine on cold water, except for baby quilts- those I wash on hot because I just know that's what will happen to them. I use a color catcher too. I did get some Retayne at my LQS for some batiks that I had bought which were too small to wash. I put them in a sink, used the retayne, and they never bled.

Karen's Kreations 04-09-2010 06:22 AM

I rarely pre-wash fabric. I generally use an all cotton batting so I wash when the whole project is completed. I do pre-wash flannel though - try to reduce the lint.

janice4 04-09-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
My quilts are purely for cuddling under (no bed quilts yet), so I just wash and dry as I would my sheets, washer, then dryer. Works great for me! Oh and I rarely wash my fabric before cutting and I haven't had any problems yet, but pre-washing is a highly personal preference.

Rachel

I agree here ;)> I have never prewashed fabric.. partly due to my excitement to get started .. and lazy. I usually will wash it after .. as well as I love the puffy look it gets first time washing and snuggly soft;) . It is a preference and those who do ...........believe it wholeheartly .

dsb38327 04-09-2010 07:55 AM

I had not been prewashing my fabric until the past year when I started using the internet to teach myself how the tips and tricks. My conscience says I should because the teachers suggest it. I have now done both and found no difference in the finished product.
When the last stitch goes in the binding I put it in the washer in a tub of cold water with 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar. My sister believed this sets the colors and I do it religously. I have seen some of my items years later and they may have been washed past their normal life span but the colors were close to day 1.
After a few hours soak in the vinegar water I add detergent and wash on a gentle cycle. As an earlier poster mentioned, my quilts don't have room to move around in the tub so I let the machine run through the cycles and then run it again. Sometimes the third time. Pop that quilt in the dryer on a heat setting (most people who don't sew will not know to use a low heat setting) I do turn it every 5 or so minutes so it won't get to hot in one place. If it is going to come apart I want to know it before I give it away.
I want any quilt I make and give to someone to be used.