Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wedding Ring Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wedding-ring-quilt-t87950.html)

koko 01-07-2011 06:01 PM

Monet's wedding ring quilt has squares, not curves...looks very similar but a whole lot easier.

beksclen 01-07-2011 06:07 PM

I used the templates from Clotilde several years ago to make two wedding ring quilts and they workede beautifully and last forever. I was not nor am I an expert by any means and I did it so anyone can.

rob529 01-07-2011 06:43 PM

Paper piecing.

ilovetosew 01-07-2011 06:46 PM

That's a fantastic way to make this quilt. Looks great!
Janie

ann31039 01-07-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kathome

i just watched this. looking for book and tool online now. and i love that it is a quilt as you go. that's the one thing i was most nervous about was trying to quilt it on my little machine. this is so great!

IBQUILTIN 01-07-2011 07:28 PM

I have heard from one of the gals in our guild that the fuseable template is great

Dee 01-07-2011 08:08 PM

One time I heard on a show all you really needed was the template that looked like a football. I have the templates, but haven't tried it yet. I may try the easier way. Anyone else hear this?

dixiechunk 01-07-2011 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning

Originally Posted by labtechkty
Hello, my son is getting married Feb,2012 and I would like to make a Wedding Ring Quilt for them...as I am a novice quilter (and know that this quilt is for advanced quilters) I would like the easiest way to go about making one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Look for a copy of the book with tool, "Rings That Bind" by Cheryl Phillips. That is the absolute easiest & quilt as you go Double Wedding Ring quilt there is. There was a wallhanging tutorial on HGTV, too if you want to try before buying.

Quilt Smart makes a fusible foundation kit that you might also want to check out.

I second this suggestion. Made a DWR for my niece when she got married. This method is just a hair more than easy peasy but definitely not difficult.

Playa-gal 01-07-2011 10:28 PM

The Quiltsmart pattern doesn't have actual curves. It just appears curved.

PKITTY1 01-07-2011 10:41 PM

There was a book I used to do a double wedding ring about ten years ago. John Flynn (some may remember him from Alex Anderson's show on HGTV) was the author. The thing I loved about how the quilt was made was that it did not require all of the cutting using templates. You would start with long strips which you would sew together to form traditonal strip sets. Once the strip sets were sewn and pressed, you would cut them into cross-sections. You would then take these cross-sections and resew the seams so they caused the fabric cross strips to curve. The only templates you had to cut were the centers and half moons. I took a clas at a shop in Warrenton, VA and it was amazing how many blocks I had done in 4-6 hours. The book is still available on his website under books and patterns. Sorry I don't know how to post a link.