Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-am-i-missing-am-i-really-dumb-t113997.html)

quiltstodo 04-06-2011 11:47 AM

Try sending k3n a PM she does beautiful OBW and she was a great help to me when I was starting one.

amma 04-06-2011 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up of my OBW

See how each individual hexagon unit is off set? They do not line up in a row, they kind of zig zag.

I hope this helps :D

amma 04-06-2011 11:55 AM

Once you get them lined up in this manner, then you just sew each half straight across. Sewing half of one hex to half of another.

I sewed all the strips together this way, then started sewing these strips together, in sets of twos.

Then the twos into fours and so on. It made it easier to handle this way :D:D:D

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete

Great advice there. I've seen that before, and it works fantastic!

dunster 04-06-2011 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pardon the really bad picture, but maybe this will get the construction across. First sew together the red strip, then the blue strip, then sew the red strip to the blue strip.

PaperPrincess 04-06-2011 01:42 PM

The 'mating' hexagon halves are not sewn together until after the strips are sewn. Make sure when you lay out your hexagons, that all the open center seams (where the 2 halves meet) are all going in the same direction, in parallel rows.

Suzi 04-06-2011 02:53 PM

AHA!! - EUREKA!! - SHAZAAM!! - BINGO!! I dwaddled around out at the kennels, hoping that one of these comments would click when I returned and reread. Trapezoids from RebeccaVLQ gave me a mental picture, amma's pic of her OBW let me see what I needed to see and then dunster put the cap on it. It turns out that my main problem was that I had laid out the hexes without regard to where the pinned centers were facing ...... some were right and most were wrong. Every one of you helped me and I'm forever grateful. This board is fantastic ----- I belong to a few forums covering several different subjects and none of them would have gotton me out of this jam so quickly and so well. Thank you, thank you, thank you ...........!!!

nativetexan 04-06-2011 04:31 PM

Yes!!!!

drivingsusan 04-06-2011 05:52 PM

The light bulb came on for me too!! First with Amma's closeup--made it all make sense!!! And then Dunster's graphic turned up the light!!!
I think I might even try to do one now!!!
Thank you for the thread---you are all great!!

frugalfabrics 04-06-2011 08:06 PM

I was hoping someone would draw a diagram, because now I was really curious as to how those go together!...Now if I ever decide to make one, I won't have to suffer in silence...thanks for all the pics...visual works for me too.