Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best way to remove the paper from a paper pieced block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-way-remove-paper-paper-pieced-block-t163775.html)

auntpiggylpn 10-27-2011 06:03 PM

I wouldn't wet the entire piece of paper. Just wet the seams. This works pretty good and next time be sure to decrease your stitch length.

patchsamkim 10-27-2011 06:19 PM

Yes, you will need to shorten your stitch...1.5 is what I use for a setting. Tweezers can help to get the paper off...you can use them to help get under the paper to get it loosened. Once you get it loosened on one side, I usually fold the paper back along other stitch lines and crease, then tear along crease. You can use the tweezers to help get off any paper that doesn't tear away.

beaniekins 10-27-2011 06:21 PM

Get your 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son to rip out the paper for you. They think it's a treat! ;)

But yes, definitely shorten your stitch lenth to 1.5. It makes a huge difference.

QuiltE 10-27-2011 08:16 PM

I've been sewing at 1.0. By the time I fold the pieces back to trim the excess fabric to 1/4" at the seam, it's a little work, but not too bad.

When I'm joining sections together, I'll take off some of the extra paper. Particularly where many seams line up. Otherwise I leave most on til I'm done the whole block ... and then test my patience when it comes to getting it off. It's getting easier, probably because I am getting more of the knack of the how to!

fireworkslover 10-27-2011 08:26 PM

I've made quite a few quilts w/ paper piecing. I always sew w/ a 1.5 stitch length. Tweezers help with the removal of the paper. Listening to TV or music helps it go faster. You probably don't need to remove every last little bit of paper. When I've hand drawn my blocks I used tracing paper and that tears away easier than reg. copy paper - just a hint for next time.

Dolphyngyrl 10-27-2011 09:18 PM

I think its supposed to be at 1.6

Bueniebabe 10-27-2011 10:54 PM

I use that yellow legal paper with lines on it. I think it comes off easier. It also runs through my computer better.

snipforfun 10-28-2011 02:54 AM

I use paper specifically for PP. I feel it is worth the extra expense to have a paper that remains stable yet comes out easily without leaving bits of paper

pocoellie 10-28-2011 05:08 AM

You definitely want to shorten your stitches. When I PP, I shorten from 2.8 to 1.5, I don't have a problem getting the paper off.

katier825 10-28-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Folding the paper on the seam now will weaken the paper a little more and that will make it somewhat easier to take off.

Copy paper dulls your sewing machine needles, so you might want to check yours before doing much more sewing on it.

Velum paper can be put through your home printer and is thinner than copy paper, so that might be easier to use for PP.

Is there a trick with getting the velum to print? It's like my printer doesn't recognize there's a paper there. I bought a package that says it's for the printer, but haven't had any luck. Printing on an HP All in one printer/scanner/fax/copier machine. I gave up and started drawing, but that is very time consuming when you've got a lot to do.