Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a difference a foot makes! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-difference-foot-makes-t275560.html)

Knitette 02-10-2016 04:58 AM

The Pfaff 4.0 and above have this built in as one of the FMQ options - they call it 'Sensormatic'. I much prefer it as I think my stitches are much more even without the 'hop'. :)

Sewnoma 02-10-2016 06:10 AM

I have that foot and you're right, it's a great foot!

I test-drove a Janome 8900 (I think it was) when they came out, and that foot came with it. I didn't fall for the machine, but I fell for the foot!

I like using the big clear plastic "dish" end for it, that one gives me the best visibility.

Watson 02-10-2016 06:35 AM

I used the open toe last night and I found it fantastic.

I got the Super Slider for my birthday so between that and this foot plus the blue dot bobbin holder, I'm rockin'!

Not sure where to get this set up for other machines than Janome but they must be out there. In the meantime, try Leah Day's fix and see how that works.

Watson.

Sassylass 02-10-2016 10:07 AM

Thank you for this information..

Patricia Drew 02-10-2016 10:33 AM

rryder: Visibility with the Sharon Schamber foot is not quite as good as with an open toe/hopping foot. But, the quilt top moves around more easily. I guess we can't have everything! Is there such a thing as an open toe/non-hopping foot? I would go for that ... I don't much feel like modifying/cutting an existing foot.

RugosaB 02-10-2016 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7460931)
Hey Maniac,
You can now get FMQ feet that don't hop, they don't touch the surface, they just sort of skim along or hover just slightly above it so you can move the fabric. Some ruler feet (like the westalee foot) also work this way. They really do make it much easier to FMQ. The trick is to get them adjusted properly. If they're too high off the fabric, then the needle will pull the fabric up and cause skipped stitches. If they're too low, then it's hard to move the fabric.

On my old Brother, when you did FMQ or embroidery, you didn't use a foot at all, just the needle. I remember thinking how easy it would be to sew my fingers back then LOL!

Rob

I use an old Viking from the 80's. After breaking a darning foot, and not willing to wait for another, I tried fmq with a regular open toe foot. There's a dial that lets me set the foot pressure for 'darning' (just skims along the top of the fabric), and a button to lower the feed dogs, it fmq beautifully. I've been doing it for 3-4 years now.

I am so thankful that darn darning foot broke!

Fabric Galore 02-11-2016 12:28 PM

I haven't been to my LQS lately but I have a Janome and I will definitely look for this convertible FMQ foot. Thanks for sharing.

MadQuilter 02-11-2016 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7460614)
​Would that be your Westalee ruler foot?

Do you have one of those? I just watched a video of using rulers on a DSM and am considering getting this. But then Baby Lock is supposed to be making a ruler foot. Do I wait or do I buy the alternative now? Decisions....

rryder 02-11-2016 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew (Post 7461723)
rryder: Visibility with the Sharon Schamber foot is not quite as good as with an open toe/hopping foot. But, the quilt top moves around more easily. I guess we can't have everything! Is there such a thing as an open toe/non-hopping foot? I would go for that ... I don't much feel like modifying/cutting an existing foot.

Patricia, the one that Watson bought made by Janome has several interchangeable parts, I think one of them is an open toe. Depending on which machine you have, some people who have machines other than Janomes have been successful in using them. I think Janome makes it in both a high shank and a low shank version, just not in the high shank special version that the PQ1500s takes.

rryder 02-11-2016 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7462731)
Do you have one of those? I just watched a video of using rulers on a DSM and am considering getting this. But then Baby Lock is supposed to be making a ruler foot. Do I wait or do I buy the alternative now? Decisions....

I have the Westalee ruler foot and love it. I have both a high shank special version (for my PQ1500s) and a low shank version that works with both my PC420 and my old Brother VX560. It's designed mainly for ruler work, but I've also used it for FMQing when I don't want the hopping action of my regular FMQ foot.

Rob