Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with boxes of quilt magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-boxes-quilt-magazines-t177643.html)

dd55 02-01-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4928837)
I use to donate them to my guild's free table but it was always full of magazines. Now I donate them to a local nursing home. The ladies and even the men loved looking at the quilts. Everyone had a long remembered quilt story. The employees said they were the most looked at magazines.

what a good idea!

mustang 02-01-2012 11:00 AM

if you will email me and give me an address I will send postage out today and will take what every you have to get rid of. [email protected] thanks a bunch.

Murphy 02-01-2012 11:01 AM

I donate these items to our local public library and they are put in the free magazine bins. I love going to these and so do other people. This way you will reach a wide range of people young and older and ones that could/would really use them. Great way to share the knowledge and wealth (smile).

countrycousin 02-01-2012 11:09 AM

I would not mind paying postage on some quilt magazines. I had a huge collection but that was destroyed by a fire in 1997.

retrogirl02 02-01-2012 11:48 AM

There are RSVP (retired senior volunteer program) offices around the country. If they aren't interested----my local ones would be ecstatic!! Library sewing groups will enjoy the chance to shop for free (and extras may even benefit your local library in sales). There are other organizations that provide materials for their volunteers. Some hospice organizations will even send someone out to your home to pick them up. If nothing local works for you, freecycle is the next best bet. If you are uncomfortable with people coming to your home, you can always list the neighbor's home {with their permission} and state they'll be on the front porch.

I've had great luck with all of these methods.
Best Wishes,
Heather

retrogirl02 02-01-2012 11:49 AM

that is another great idea, dd55! thanks for sharing.

Bon-bon 02-01-2012 12:09 PM

bundle them up a few at a time, take to a Nursing home, Dr. office or extended care facility. Hospitals maybe, too.

wisconsin 02-01-2012 12:14 PM

Quilting groups will put them out and let visitors to their show help themselves. Quilters are always looking for magazines.

Drue 02-01-2012 01:17 PM

The quilt show I just went to put old issues of quilt magazines in the "Goody Bags" they gave out at the door. The one I got was was "Patchwork and Quilting Ideas", Winter 1997. This was "pre-quilting" for me, so I love it!
I'm sure any guild or LQS would love to have them. Please don't toss them!

krisgray 02-01-2012 02:20 PM

I buy used quilt mags at my local library's sales table. There is a small guild in our area that collects used mags/books and sells them at area quilt shows.

If you're rural, maybe the home extension clubs in your area would be interested - either for looking or for selling at their fundraisers/craft shows.