Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-really-ugly-vintage-quilt-top-t61738.html)

finch 08-28-2010 09:40 AM

I would finish it and surprise her with it on her birthday!

poultney 08-28-2010 10:17 AM

I think it is a beautiful quilt. How about sewing a thin strip down and across the rows in the turquoise fabric? That would keep the blocks from clashing into each other. The blocks do not seem to make a pattern. But definitely do not trash. All quilts are a work of art, I agree it does have attitude. Sally

slk350 08-28-2010 10:27 AM

Well, it is a little crazy and wild colors,(not something I would make) BUT really not that bad. I wouldn't want it on my bed, but as a beach blanket or folded at the end of a guest bed would be nice. Maybe for a college dorm bed ??? Or folded on a quilt rack.

ube quilting 08-28-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
Oh I love my mother in law dearly and the more the quilt sits on the bed the more I'm diggin' it! It's got attitude:))

I'm so glad your mind and heart made a turn in the direction it did! Your pictures show a 'seriously' scrappy quilt with a lot of charm. Maybe not to everyones liking but who cares except for your MIL and you. If you haven't already, may I suggest that you ask her about some of the materials used to make it. Alot of these types of quilts have warm memories of old sun dresses, first day of school, etc. These stories, if there are any could possibly make the quilt that much more loved. Try a black border. If you already added the turquoise, cut it back to 1.5 or 2" and add a 5 or 6" black border. Just lay a piece of black next to the edge and see what that does!

littlehud 08-28-2010 01:35 PM

I like it. It's a great scrappy quilt.

MomtoBostonTerriers 08-28-2010 02:00 PM

I don't think this is the world's worst quilt. I like string quilts, scrappy/crappy quilts, so this one has me interested. I like the idea of breaking up those blocks by sewing a solid color sashing between then (just sew it on top of the blocks as is).

You are a sweetheart for even giving this quilt top a chance to turn into a swan!

ganny 08-28-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
actually, she gave it to me to keep! It's almost charming how crazy it is!

Why would you want to break up someone else's creation. Older quilt tops were made from "REALLY" scrap material out of old clothing from necessity. I think it should remain the vintage that it is. You will be surprised at how the finished product willl look without breaking up the squares. It will be lovely.

Sadheart 08-28-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
Actually, I've seen worse :shock:

I agree. I have seen a lot worse.
It is not bad. Maybe not what you yourself would do. But not bad.
I would finish it. Never know you might fall in love when finished.

PegD 08-29-2010 02:34 AM

I agree. It is beautiful, but then again, I love scrappy quilts. Better without the added border. I bet when it is quilted it will be even better. Give it a chance.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Hmmm....maybe it's just me, but I like it! :D Even better without the border!

smagruder 08-29-2010 02:59 AM

The quilter evidentally used what fabrics she had, and, really, it isn't that bad... I kind of like it for what it is. Like you just said, I think it is growing on you. Enjoy it and the fact the your mil gave it to you. it will be something to hand down to your children if it survives its usage.